Steven D Schwortz

Default TIMMY O'NEILL-OUTSIDE UNIVERSITY

OUTSIDE UNIVERSITY

starring:
***TIMMY O'NEILL***

THURSDAY, APRIL 8, 2004
8:30 PM (Doors at 8:00 PM)

LOGAN HALL ROOM 17
UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA
PHILADELPHIA, PA

FREE TO PENNCARD HOLDERS
FREE WITH ANY STUDENT ID
ONLY $3.00 GENERAL ADMISSION
AWESOME PRIZES AND FREE STUFF...LOTS OF FREE STUFF...

for directions to logan hall:
http://www.facilities.upenn.edu/maps...ap.php3?id=223
for directions to penn:
http://www.admissionsug.upenn.edu/vi...directions.php

brought to you by:
Outside Magazine - http://www.outsidemag.com
Outward Bound - http://www.obusa.com
Red Point Creative - http://www.redpointcreative.com
University of Pennsylvania Outing Club - http://dolphin.upenn.edu/~upoc
and many more...

Outside Magazine presents, Outside University starring climbing superstar
Timmy O'Neill. Known as the "Urban Ape" for his occasional exploits
scaling
city buildings, Timmy O'Neill combines stand up comedy with tales of
adventure-all wrapped up in a program that leaves audiences motivated to
get outdoors.

This hysterical show will chronicle Timmy's spring 2003 adventure to the
big
walls of Greenland and feature his latest short film entitled, "Suspended
Animation." Not enough you say? No problem because Tim has much more in
store
for us. You'll also see a new film about climbing Yosemite Valley's El
Capitan
with double amputee climber Warren McDonald this past fall and you'll get
see and hear about Tim's most recent adventure to climb the limestone
cliffs
of Cuba...This is going to be one spicy, gnarly show...dont miss it!!!

Timmy O'Neill's adventurous spirit was fostered in the urban-open spaces
surrounding his childhood home in Philadelphia. He explored the
boundaries
of Fernwood cemetery and along the banks of Cobb's Creek in search of
excitement- that usually consisted of burned out cars and run-ins with
the
cops. At age nineteen, he moved to Yellowstone National Park, beginning a
seven-year traveling stint through America's pristine wilderness. He soon
discovered rock climbing in Yosemite National Park and knew that through
it, he would pursue his dreams. He has been kayaking since age five and
climbing for the past fifteen years.

O'Neill is one of the fastest climbers in the world. He has set many
speed
records in Yosemite National Park on several of its formations, including
world record ascent, with Dean Potter, of the famed Nose on El Capitan in
3
hours 24 minutes. That same Yosemite season, O'Neill and Potter became
the
first to ever link-up, in a continuous push, three massive Grade VI
walls,
climbing over 80 pitches and 9,000 vertical feet, in less than 24 hours.

During the past several years, Timmy has been exploring the world's great
mountain ranges, climbing from Pakistan to Patagonia. His most recent
adventures include climbing massive granite monoliths in Greenland,
leading
a 4 day ascent of El Cap with Warren McDonald, a double amputee (above
the
knee), and climbing limestone cliffs in Cuba.

In addition to athletic exploration, O'Neill is been breaking ground with
film and public speaking. His film "Urban Ape," which features "hilarious
buildering antics", has won over 5 major Mountain Film Festival awards.
Timmy continues to work on film projects, and is also receiving acclaim
for his outrageously funny "climbing slideshows." "O'Neill is the
smartest,
funniest presenter out there today," stated Yvon Chouinard, owner of
Patagonia clothing company. Forget the "gnarly man vs. gnarly mountain" a
pproach to climbing shows. Prepare yourself for stomach cramps and watery e
yes as climber, comedian, and "Urban Ape," Timmy O'Neill gives his own
Monty
Python inspired approach to a major climbing expedition.

Timmy's overall message: get outside and discover the freedom, happiness
and sense of accomplishment outdoor activity can bring,
no matter what your level.

Get ready to be inspired and be prepared to laugh.

For more information on Timmy O'Neill please visit:
Tim O'Neill at Red Point Creative -
http://www.redpointcreative.com/RPCtimmypageone.htm
Timmy O'Neill.com - http://www.redpointcreative.com/RPCtimmypageone.htm

For more info about the show please visit: http://dolphin.upenn.edu/~upoc

[...]

[...]