Rotation Slim

Default Rafting close to Detroit Michigan

Unfortunately, I think I know the answer to this, but I will ask.

Are there any whitewater rafting experiences within 100 to 120 miles
of Detroit Michigan. I have a Scout group that wants to go, but the
rules of our chartering group say we can only travel 100 miles for an
activity. I suspect I could cheat a little to maybe 150 miles; Is
there anyplace that is within that range??
Dan Valleskey

Yup, you knew the answer. I don't know of anything. There is
something in Canada- the Ontario River? maybe?

Change the rules. 100 mile limit? not realistic. As long as we
still have all this 1.65 gas.

You are blessed with an incredible bunch of fla****er rivers. I think
you are close to the Huron, IIRC. Maybe you could sell them on that.

The Little Mansitee requires as much or more skill than most Class 2
whitewater runs.

Other option- nothing says a group of buddies who happened to have met
at Boy Scouts can't get together for a road trip. Make all the
parents come along. Leave the uniforms at home.

Just my $.02.

-Dan V.

On 27 Jan 2004 15:18:18 -0800, (Rotation
Slim) wrote:

Unfortunately, I think I know the answer to this, but I will ask.

Are there any whitewater rafting experiences within 100 to 120 miles
of Detroit Michigan. I have a Scout group that wants to go, but the
rules of our chartering group say we can only travel 100 miles for an
activity. I suspect I could cheat a little to maybe 150 miles; Is
there anyplace that is within that range??

RacIVRnr

I'm not sure you will find any rafting within your parameters.
The closest thing I know for rafting is the East Race, in South Bend, Indiana.
They rent rafts and inflatable kayaks for runs down a less than a half mile
cement ditch in the heart of downtown. (This is beyond your 'ideal' distance.)
Info at http://www.sbpark.org/parks/erace.htm

Otherwise, my recommendation would be to look into a couple rivers in Ohio,
where there are canoe/kayak outfitters which run a couple mild whitewater
rivers. I think the closest (within your travel parameters) are the Sandusky
and the Maumee, and (stretching a tad further) the Mohican. Check outfitters
info at:
http://www.ohiotourism.com/discover/...e/canoeing.asp
http://www.oweb.com/Advertiser-Tribu...acesToSee.html

Much may depend upon the age(s) and height(s) of your group. Some outfitters
may have requirements regarding either. Good luck!