Howard Kellogg

Default Dry Suits

This will be the first year I go whitewater canoeing in Colorado in early
June. Any recommendations or condemnations about drysuits

John Kuthe

Howard Kellogg wrote:

This will be the first year I go whitewater canoeing in Colorado in early
June. Any recommendations or condemnations about drysuits

I think drysuits are fantastic!

June in CO, huh? Yeah, the water will be cold enough to warrant a
drysuit, and since you are WW canoeing, can I assume you will be doing a
lot of swimming? ;-)

--
John Kuthe,
1st rule of Govt: protect people from Govt
EnzoM3

Kakatat Drysuit!

"Howard Kellogg" wrote in message
nk.net...
This will be the first year I go whitewater canoeing in Colorado in early
June. Any recommendations or condemnations about drysuits

Alex McGruer

"EnzoM3" wrote in message .com...
Kakatat Drysuit!

"Howard Kellogg" wrote in message
nk.net...
This will be the first year I go whitewater canoeing in Colorado in early
June. Any recommendations or condemnations about drysuits

I have 2 Kokatat dry suits, Both cheap nylon. I would love a Goretex
one but I paddle a lot and they do break down, Zippers, Gaskits and my
older one just wear and tear. That was bought in 1998 and has seam
sealer where the water proofing has worn out around the waist.
Two suits means when one is in for repair I am still not out of luck.

I would not sell my old one but many would polish it up and flog it to
the unweary.

If you can afford Goretex it is a fine product. I can't.
My friends that use it are very pleased and are dry when they get off
the water, I am normally damp and I am taking the dry suit off in cold
weather. Sometimes ice forms inside it, I wear a fair bit of polypro
from HH. They have always been comfortable untill it came time to get
off the water.

I have spent over an hour in zero C water with my dry suit. (That was
for a photo shoot on kayak safety).
That was not a healthy excersize ( The suit weeped a quart or so of
water ) but it spoke volumes for the added safety these suits provide.
In a wet suit or less I could have suffered the water for less than a
couple of minutes and likely more than 5 or 10 would have meant a trip
to the hospital. An hour and I would have long since have perished.

There are a bunch of companies that make dry suits, Brooks, Soquest,
Kokatat and more . Mine is Kokatat because that is what was available
here. It is fine but I don't advertise.

I sea kayak so play in waters much colder than you will likely see. I
did a roll two weeks ago when I got nailed by a surprise breaker.
Dry suits are good.
Enjoy your paddling
Alex