Bill Tuthill

Default Whitewater in Southwest??

Milhouse wrote:
Any whitewater rafting within a 5 hour drive of Vegas???

There's a one-day section of the Colorado below Powell Reservoir,
starting at Glen Canyon dam and going to Lee's Ferry, the put-in for
the classic multiday Grand Canyon trip. I believe it is class 2-3
with commercial trips offered, but neither the AWA website nor the
book Western Whitewater mention this section.

The lower Kern in California also has rafting, but is further away.

Chas

The section of Colorado River below Glen Canyon Dam is all fla****er. Access
just below the dam is reserved only for one or two commercial river
companies. A lot of fishermen launch their power boats at Lees Ferry (I
think its about 17 miles below the dam) and head up stream.
As far as rafting in the area the only place around with enough water is the
Green or Colorado rivers farther to the east. I just got back from rafting
the Colorado above Moab (had a great time). I live in St George, about 120
northeast of you in Vegas and it took me about 5 hours from here. You could
go raft Gray's canyon on the Green and, if you don't stop too much make in
in just about 5 to 6 hours. Make sure if you do go to Green River, Utah to
stop at Ray's Tavern. Best Burgers in town. Hope this helps.
Charlie

"Milhouse" wrote in message
thlink.net...
Any whitewater rafting within a 5 hour drive of Vegas???

Milhouse