Howie

Default How to repair a section of top layer of plywood only?

Hi all,

I am struggling to work out how to repair a section of plywood
which was damaged and subsequently became a bit waterlogged.

This is a section approx the size of my hand and I can rub it
down to undamaged, hard wood all around.

However, as this is a section of my boat wheelhouse, and as such,
built from a very large single sheet of ply, - and as I am not a
carpenter by any stretch of the imagination, I really don't want
to cut this section out or attempt to replace the whole sheet.

Can anyone give me a hint about rebuilding just this single layer
as a good, strong, invisible repair. The finish is paint, - so I
_can_ cover up, - a bit :-)

Appreciate any help,

Regards,

H.

--
Howard Coakley
e-mail... howarddot}coakleyatcoakleydot].codotuk
Ian Stirling

In uk.d-i-y Howie wrote:
Hi all,

I am struggling to work out how to repair a section of plywood
which was damaged and subsequently became a bit waterlogged.

This is a section approx the size of my hand and I can rub it
down to undamaged, hard wood all around.

Car body filler should work.

Derek

"Howie" wrote in message
Hi all,

I am struggling to work out how to repair a section of plywood
which was damaged and subsequently became a bit waterlogged.

This is a section approx the size of my hand and I can rub it
down to undamaged, hard wood all around.

However, as this is a section of my boat wheelhouse, and as such,
built from a very large single sheet of ply, - and as I am not a
carpenter by any stretch of the imagination, I really don't want
to cut this section out or attempt to replace the whole sheet.

Can anyone give me a hint about rebuilding just this single layer
as a good, strong, invisible repair. The finish is paint, - so I
_can_ cover up, - a bit :-)

Appreciate any help,

Regards,

H.

--

I would rub the panel down to wood and give it a liberal coating
of fibre glass resin the wood will absorb a certain amount which

Cicero

"Howie" wrote in message
Hi all,

I am struggling to work out how to repair a section of plywood
which was damaged and subsequently became a bit waterlogged.

This is a section approx the size of my hand and I can rub it
down to undamaged, hard wood all around.

However, as this is a section of my boat wheelhouse, and as such,
built from a very large single sheet of ply, - and as I am not a
carpenter by any stretch of the imagination, I really don't want
to cut this section out or attempt to replace the whole sheet.

Can anyone give me a hint about rebuilding just this single layer
as a good, strong, invisible repair. The finish is paint, - so I
_can_ cover up, - a bit :-)

Appreciate any help,

Regards,

H.

--
Howard Coakley

=================
If you can't do it yourself it would be worth getting someone to 'router'
out the damaged section to a depth of about 6mm. Then glue in a piece of
6mm plywood using waterproof glue.

Car body filler (as suggested by another poster) might fall out if there is
any moisture in the underlying wood, but would be worth trying if you think
you can get the damaged part completely dry.

Cic.

Geoff

Cicero wrote:

I am struggling to work out how to repair a section of plywood
which was damaged and subsequently became a bit waterlogged.

This is a section approx the size of my hand and I can rub it
down to undamaged, hard wood all around.

However, as this is a section of my boat wheelhouse, and as such,
built from a very large single sheet of ply, - and as I am not a
carpenter by any stretch of the imagination, I really don't want
to cut this section out or attempt to replace the whole sheet.

Can anyone give me a hint about rebuilding just this single layer
as a good, strong, invisible repair. The finish is paint, - so I

There is a trick with a router that would do this, impossible to explain
but,
http://www.trendmachinery.co.uk/libr...es/PAGE133.PDF
under "Timber repair kit" gives some idea.
With the right cutter/bush combo it's dead easy. You make a jig/pattern
to suit the damaged area.
cheersandgone

The Natural Philosopher

Howie wrote:

Hi all,

I am struggling to work out how to repair a section of plywood
which was damaged and subsequently became a bit waterlogged.

This is a section approx the size of my hand and I can rub it
down to undamaged, hard wood all around.

However, as this is a section of my boat wheelhouse, and as such,
built from a very large single sheet of ply, - and as I am not a
carpenter by any stretch of the imagination, I really don't want
to cut this section out or attempt to replace the whole sheet.

Can anyone give me a hint about rebuilding just this single layer
as a good, strong, invisible repair. The finish is paint, - so I
_can_ cover up, - a bit :-)

Appreciate any help,

CAR BODY FILLER
Regards,

H.

Howie

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 01:36:34 GMT, Howard
wrote:

snip

|Try Ronseal products.
|Scrape out all the loose de-laminated plywood.
|Coat with Wet Rot Hardener - it soaks in and hardens everything it touches.
|Fill with High Performance Wood Filler.
|I think you can buy a kit with it all in.
|Best of luck.
|
|Howard

Well, thanks to everyone for the advice. I'm sure I will find the
right answer amongst it all. It seems that I might try the idea
of some sort of resin to seal it first and then fill.

I'll have a look at the ronseal products too.

this area is well above any risk of salt water saturation, so we
are just talking about rain and cold weather etc.

Thanks again.

H.

--
Howard Coakley
e-mail... howarddot}coakleyatcoakleydot].codotuk
ICQ:4502837. (Try ICQ at www.icq.com)
Pete C

wrote:

Well, thanks to everyone for the advice. I'm sure I will find the
right answer amongst it all. It seems that I might try the idea
of some sort of resin to seal it first and then fill.

I'll have a look at the ronseal products too.

this area is well above any risk of salt water saturation, so we
are just talking about rain and cold weather etc.

Thanks again.

Hi,

Try a Google on rec.boats.building and post there too.

Make sure the area and any new wood is well treated with wood
preserver.

Maybe chamfer or rebate the hole and use a well fitting fillet of WBP
ply.

Epoxy or structural polyurethane glues are good for this sort of
thing.

With epoxy it's best to prime the edges of the wood first and then
apply more just after the first lot has set, as it soaks into the wood
quite a bit.

Epoxy can be thickened with different things to make a very good glue
or filler.

I'd avoid using car body filler IMVHO

Is the deck flat or slightly curved?

cheers,
Pete.
Howie

wrote:

|Well, thanks to everyone for the advice. I'm sure I will find the
|right answer amongst it all. It seems that I might try the idea
|of some sort of resin to seal it first and then fill.
|
|I'll have a look at the ronseal products too.
|
|this area is well above any risk of salt water saturation, so we
|are just talking about rain and cold weather etc.
|
|Thanks again.
|
|Hi,
|
|Try a Google on rec.boats.building and post there too.
|
|Make sure the area and any new wood is well treated with wood
|preserver.
|
|Maybe chamfer or rebate the hole and use a well fitting fillet of WBP
|ply.
|
|Epoxy or structural polyurethane glues are good for this sort of
|thing.
|
|With epoxy it's best to prime the edges of the wood first and then
|apply more just after the first lot has set, as it soaks into the wood
|quite a bit.
|
|Epoxy can be thickened with different things to make a very good glue
|or filler.
|
|I'd avoid using car body filler IMVHO
|
|Is the deck flat or slightly curved?
|
|cheers,
|Pete.

Thanks for that advice.

It's actually my wheelhouse, and it's very... very... slightly
curved.