Steve Davis

Default some guidance please

Hi Everyone,

I've just purchased a 2nd hand Bombard Aerotec 380 inflatable and a Johnson
15HP short shaft outboard for a good price. Hope you don't mind me picking
your collective brains...

1 ) Can you please provide me with some guides, links or advice on general
boat regulations? I've hired motor boats on the River Dart in Devon lots of
times so know a little about passing on right, giving way to sail/ferries
etc. But need to know more about licencing, launching rules and regulations.
Already found the boatlaunch.co.uk website.

2) What equipment would you recommend I always take with me, we only plan to
use on rivers like the dart and hamble and the local coastline. I reckon:
lifejackets, handheld gps maybe useful, local map, mobile phone, vhf radio??
(there are some going for £108 in ebay, are these any good?), flares?,
rope/anchor, (are fenders needed on an inflatable?)

3) Where can I get a manual/guide for both the boat and the engine, I've
turned up blanks at the respective websites. What sort of servicing is
required for the engine during and at the end of the season?

4) The boat is missing it's puncture repair pack, can these be obtained else
where? (it's in excellent condition at the moment but better safe than
sorry!)

5) It comes with a foot pump and pressure guage that indicate the max
pressures for individual chambers, can I use an electric pump? Any
recommendations or links?

thanks in advance

Steve

Richard Brookman

Steve Davis wrote:

|| ||
|| 2) What equipment would you recommend I always take with me, we only
|| plan to use on rivers like the dart and hamble and the local
|| coastline. I reckon: lifejackets

Yes

|| handheld gps maybe useful

Yes - practise putting in waypoints and steering to a course, MOB function,
retracing route etc - it'll come in handy when you want to go a bit further

|| local map

or chart... ;-) ... yes

|| mobile phone, vhf radio

both - but get your VHF licence first to stay within the law. And remember
mobile coverage over water may be patchy.

|| flares?, rope/anchor,

again, yes. All of the above (except the anchor and warp) will fit in a
small waterproof container and be no trouble at all. And they will show
everyone that you have thought about it before setting out on the water. I
would add a diving knife (in case you get the prop fouled) and a basic
toolkit for the motor, including a spare starting rope. As with many
things, if you take it, you won't need it. The day you leave it behind...
--

===============================
Rich

Steve Davis

Great info, thanks very much :-)

"Richard Brookman" m
wrote in message ...
Steve Davis wrote:

|| ||
|| 2) What equipment would you recommend I always take with me, we only
|| plan to use on rivers like the dart and hamble and the local
|| coastline. I reckon: lifejackets

Yes

|| handheld gps maybe useful

Yes - practise putting in waypoints and steering to a course, MOB

function,
retracing route etc - it'll come in handy when you want to go a bit

further

|| local map

or chart... ;-) ... yes