posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle

Default Access: Angling for Compliments

Seen this?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...4/nriver04.xml

That'll put the access campaign back 20 years. Of course, you all
know that
the (paid) BCU Access officer is also the wife of the BCU Chief
Executive?

And, if you want to read the BCU wriggling and squirming, they've
rushed out
a press release. Obviously, the reporter must have got it all wrong -
how
can it possibly be true that Tamsin Phipps has two canoeing
companions???

BRITISH CANOE UNION PRESS RELEASE

5th March 2007

Response to the Sunday Telegraph's Newspaper Article

"Trouble water ahead over the right to paddle" Sunday March 4, 2007

The British Canoe Union (BCU) is extremely disappointed with
yesterdays Sunday Telegraph article "Trouble water ahead over the
right to paddle"

This article completely misrepresents the BCU's position and in
particular attributes comments to its Access Campaign Manager that do
not reflect either the Union or the individual's position. It
deliberately fuels conflict between angling and canoeing
organisations. The BCU fully respects their fellow sportsman, the
anglers and in particular it does not stereotype Anglers in the manner
suggested. In fact, the quote in the article attributed to the Union's
spokesperson is largely a reprint and extrapolation of an earlier
headline in the Daily Telegraph.

What the Union has said is that the Sports of Angling and Canoeing
have a considerable amount in common and that both bodies should work
together to promote healthy enjoyment of our aquatic environment.

The BCU recognises that the current interpretation of the law presumes
that rights of navigation do not exist. The BCU does not agree with
this position and will do all that it can to challenge the current
interpretation and encourage the introduction of fresh legislation to
place the matter beyond doubt.

As a responsible National Governing Body of Sport, the BCU does not
support the breaking of the law as currently interpreted. It does
however, reserve the right to campaign for change.

The BCU believes that clarity benefiting all water users would be
brought about by the introduction of new legislation in the form of a
bill similar to the successful Scottish Land Reform Act. This would be
supported by an Access Code detailing how and under what circumstances
access should be permitted. It would also set out water user's
responsibilities when accessing water and emphasise measures to
protect the environment. The suggestion that the BCU and canoeists
advocate for example the disturbing of spawning beds is a non-sense.
The BCU believes that serious consideration should be given to the
promotion of the bill put forward by Dr Desmond Turner MP and that in
reality this would provide a sensible way forward protecting all of
the interests and in particular those of the environment.

Whilst the BCU acknowledges the claims made by anglers concerning the
number of their participants, the BCU is aware that approximately 1.4
million rod licences are sold and that the government sponsored Active
Peoples survey indicates that 281,000 adults fish at least once a
month. Very few of these participants would be affected by the
proposed legislation. Many Anglers pursue their sport either; in
specially provided "fish farms" on private purpose built lakes or on
the sea or on large rivers which are often existing navigations where
fishing and boating interests have had shared use for many years an
example being the River Thames.

With regard to Access agreements Dr Turner MP's address to the House
of Commons on 24th January 2007 clearly articulated the impracticality
of these arrangements. The BCU would clearly prefer there to be a
"quick fix", however, the reality of voluntary access agreements is
even the recent exercise completed by Brighton University with
significant resources from the Environment Agency is already subject
to legal challenge and falling into disrepute.

The BCU wishes to work in partnership with all fellow river users to
ensure that these unique parts of the environment are preserved,
protected and used appropriately by the British public.

Ends

posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle

On Mar 14, 3:15 am, "expaddler"
wrote:
... the (paid) BCU Access officer is also the wife of the BCU Chief Executive...

I know, I know... I *really* shouldn't bite... but this intrigued
me...

I'm aware that one shouldn't believe all that one reads on the
internet. So, can anyone confirm that this statement is actually
true, or is it just another rumour to descredit the BCU..?

--
philm

posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle

wrote in message
ps.com...
On Mar 14, 3:15 am, "expaddler"
wrote:
... the (paid) BCU Access officer is also the wife of the BCU Chief
Executive...

I know, I know... I *really* shouldn't bite... but this intrigued
me...

I'm aware that one shouldn't believe all that one reads on the
internet. So, can anyone confirm that this statement is actually
true, or is it just another rumour to descredit the BCU..?

--
philm

May be I can help.

Tamsin Phipps is married to Paul Owen.
Tamsin Phipps is the BCU Access Officer.
Paul Owen is the BCU CEO.
All can be checked with the BCU office.
Go ahead & ask them. You have the right to know.

Is this OK? I'm not sure to be honest. Is there a conflict of interest?
I don't know why Tamsin chooses not to use the surname of her husband.
There may be a perfectly rational explanation.

HTH

David Kemper
Not a fan of fishy tales.