posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle
John Allan

Default uk.rec.boats.paddle Newsgroup History

Hi,

I seem to be having a problem getting any more than a few (currently 2) days
worth of messages on this newsgroup. Can anyone tell me whether they can
see more than a couple of days worth. Currently it's so short a retension
time that it's not really very useful.

I'm with Blueyonder - I made an enquiry to see if they were deleting
messages after a few days but they say they pick up what's available on
their newfeed.

Grateful for any info in this respect.

Happy Paddling,

John Allan, Plymouth

posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle
JohnB-UK

John Allan wrote:
Hi,

I seem to be having a problem getting any more than a few (currently 2) days
worth of messages on this newsgroup. Can anyone tell me whether they can
see more than a couple of days worth. Currently it's so short a retension
time that it's not really very useful.

I'm with Blueyonder - I made an enquiry to see if they were deleting
messages after a few days but they say they pick up what's available on
their newfeed.

Grateful for any info in this respect.

Happy Paddling,

John Allan, Plymouth

I am with Pipex who use Giganews and can see back to 31 March. Don't
know who Blueyonder use.

JohnB

John Allan wrote:
Hi,

I seem to be having a problem getting any more than a few (currently 2) days
worth of messages on this newsgroup. Can anyone tell me whether they can
see more than a couple of days worth. Currently it's so short a retension
time that it's not really very useful.

I'm with Blueyonder - I made an enquiry to see if they were deleting
messages after a few days but they say they pick up what's available on
their newfeed.

Grateful for any info in this respect.

Happy Paddling,

John Allan, Plymouth

Oops should have added '2005'.
posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle
Wilko

John Allan wrote:
Hi,

I seem to be having a problem getting any more than a few (currently 2) days
worth of messages on this newsgroup. Can anyone tell me whether they can
see more than a couple of days worth. Currently it's so short a retension
time that it's not really very useful.

I'm with Blueyonder - I made an enquiry to see if they were deleting
messages after a few days but they say they pick up what's available on
their newfeed.

Grateful for any info in this respect.

Happy Paddling,

John Allan, Plymouth

I know that it's not exactly a newsserver, and its user interface isn't
as flexible, but maybe http://groups.google.com can help you out? They
do carry uk.rec.boats.paddle:
http://groups.google.com/group/uk.rec.boats.paddle/

Also, I find very little traffic on uk.RBP in the last month, and I'm on
Giganews. Besides the five messages posted today there were only four
messages for the entire month of June, and maybe 20 for the entire month
of May.

HTH

--
Wilko van den Bergh wilkoa t)dse(d o tnl
Eindhoven The Netherlands Europe
posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle
David Pearson

In message , Wilko
writes

Also, I find very little traffic on uk.RBP in the last month, and I'm
on Giganews. Besides the five messages posted today there were only
four messages for the entire month of June, and maybe 20 for the entire
month of May.

Reflects a widespread shift in the Internet - from newsgroups to
discussion boards etc. Newsgroups are a bit old school and geek
territory to most net newcomers!
--
David Pearson

posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle
Peter Clinch

David Pearson wrote:

Reflects a widespread shift in the Internet - from newsgroups to
discussion boards etc. Newsgroups are a bit old school and geek
territory to most net newcomers!

It also has an appallingly "old fashioned" UI without pictures that one
can actually /use/ effectively, so is shunnned... ;-/

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle
Wilko

David Pearson wrote:
In message , Wilko
writes

Also, I find very little traffic on uk.RBP in the last month, and I'm
on Giganews. Besides the five messages posted today there were only
four messages for the entire month of June, and maybe 20 for the
entire month of May.

Reflects a widespread shift in the Internet - from newsgroups to
discussion boards etc. Newsgroups are a bit old school and geek
territory to most net newcomers!

Considering that whitewater kayakers are a kind of geek too, I don't
mind being considered a geek! :-)

Rec.boats.paddle has seen a pretty steady amount of traffic for the last
couple of months, that suits me just fine.

--
Wilko van den Bergh wilkoa t)dse(d o tnl
Eindhoven The Netherlands Europe
---Look at the possibilities, don't worry about the limitations.---
http://kayaker.nl/
posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle
David Pearson

In message , Peter Clinch
writes
David Pearson wrote:

Reflects a widespread shift in the Internet - from newsgroups to
discussion boards etc. Newsgroups are a bit old school and geek
territory to most net newcomers!

It also has an appallingly "old fashioned" UI without pictures that one
can actually /use/ effectively, so is shunnned... ;-/

Yeah, that would be the one! Low bandwidth no longer counts for much...
--
David Pearson

John Allan wrote:
Hi,

I seem to be having a problem getting any more than a few (currently 2) days
worth of messages on this newsgroup. Can anyone tell me whether they can
see more than a couple of days worth. Currently it's so short a retension
time that it's not really very useful.

I'm with Blueyonder - I made an enquiry to see if they were deleting
messages after a few days but they say they pick up what's available on
their newfeed.

Grateful for any info in this respect.

Happy Paddling,

John Allan, Plymouth

I'm with Blueyonder. I've just picked this up after about a month, so
they are certainly keeping a decent history. I use their secondary news
server: news-text.blueyonder.co.uk

--
Conor O'Neill, at home in Bristol, UK

from a woodworking newsgroup: Making a backstaff [navigation device] Hoodoo General 0 January 9th 06 01:00 AM
History of Beer JIMinFL General 0 December 4th 05 01:56 PM
A beer with Bush *JimH* General 8 November 17th 05 09:36 PM