BoatBanter.com

-   UK Paddle (https://www.boatbanter.com/uk-paddle/)
-   -   Essential Kit (https://www.boatbanter.com/uk-paddle/65010-essential-kit.html)

muzz January 7th 06 05:04 PM

Essential Kit

With Christmas over and my mind turning more and more to trips outside the
protection of the Cromarty Firth I have began looking at some more kit that
I should purchase. I already have flares, map case, compass, GPS, paddle
leash. After only an hour of paddling in a following 10 knot wind the other
day and spending that hour trying to go straight, I will definitely be
purchasing a rudder for my skegless boat.
I also want to be able to get back into the boat myself so I have paddle
float and pump on my list. First aid and repair kits come to mind and maybe
a spare split paddle. Are there any other items that I really should be
carrying ? Tow line perhaps ?

--
Muzz
http://highlandmist.blogspot.com

[email protected] January 8th 06 02:18 PM

Essential Kit

Hi Muzz.
Here to be legal you need a tow line , sounding device ( whistle ) pump
or bailing device, padde ( just One ) PFD ( BA or Boyancy Aid there ).
I carry flares, marine VHF, Cell phone when it works (coverage) some
emergency food, flash lighs, compasses (2) emergency blankets, a small
first aid kit , matches and waxed fire starter, a candle or two and an
emergency change of clothes.
Temperatures here are sub zero and we don't have the Royal life boat
service you have . Out military is not that close when you need them
either.
I suspect if you dress for conditions and have the paddle float, tow
rope , pump, a spare paddle and a meens to stayb or get warm you should
be fine.
Training is the answer of course. Its cheaper and less painfull to
learn from someone elses errors.
Alex

[email protected] January 8th 06 06:13 PM

Essential Kit

Hi Muzz.
In Canada we have some stuff you MUST have when out in any small boat.
5 things by law. A 15 meter floating tow rope , A paddle ( just one ) a
bailing device ( pump or bucket ) a sounding device ( whistle ) and a
PFD (Personal floatation device BA Boyancy Aid or life vest.)
The rules change when you go out after dark or over a mile from shore.
Then you have to have a light visible from 360 degrees ( a flash light)
and as you head out to sea , a set of flares and signalling devices.
In my kit I carry a couple of flash lights, two compasses ( one for
the deck and one for the pocket ) a marine VHF , a cell phone if there
is coverage. There is not a lot of coverage here. Flares , Two of the
big para affairs and a couple of hand held flares ( mars flares ) a
strobe light ( the small xenon emergency marine beacon type ) a
lighter and matches, a small first aid kit, an emergency blanket, some
fire starter, as well as some emergency food.
I don't carry a lot of water because this is Newfoundland and there are
lots of rivers. I carry a small cup I can boil water in but I wouldn't
bother. Most water here is fine. It its skanky we just go on.
I do carry water or soft drings for a day paddle but not for emergency
use. I will pay for this If I get blown of shore.
(Depending on the company If I think I may get caught out after dark I
often ( usually ) carry a dry bag with ice and a bottle of Henkel
Troken ) It works as well as Don. but costs a litle less.)
That fire starter and a warm evening it is the other and better part of
sea kayaking.
Training is a good thing too. It lets you learn not by doing foolish
things but by hearing from other ( More skilled ) people that have
sucked themselves into doing foolish things, seen other people do dumb
ass stuff or researched idiotic things that other paddlers have
experienced and not survived.
Take care
Enjoy the world greatest sport
Alex

cramersec January 9th 06 01:08 AM

Essential Kit

muzz wrote:
With Christmas over and my mind turning more and more to trips outside the
protection of the Cromarty Firth I have began looking at some more kit that
I should purchase..... Are there any other items that I really should be
carrying ? Tow line perhaps ?

Tow and throw bags lines make wonderful gifts for your paddling
buddies. Try to be sure that they all have one.

When you get to the point that you can paddle home into a headwind
dragging 250# behind you, starting hinting for yourself.

Steve

[email protected] January 9th 06 03:52 AM

Essential Kit

By rights you need five things to paddlle in Canadian coastal and
inshore waters.
A paddle ( just one )
A PFD ( Boyancy Aid , Life Vest.)
A bailng device ( Pump or bailer )
A 15 Meter floating tow rope .
A sounding device ( Whistle )

Off shore or after dark there is more stuff.
Flares and Signaling device for over one mile from a headland and a
light visible from 360 degrees for night. A flashlight qualifies there.

I would always carry a paddle float, inflatable in summer and rigid
styrafoam paddle float in winter.
Practice in reentry skills is a must as well.
Hope this helps Muzz
Alex

muzz January 9th 06 02:08 PM

Essential Kit

wrote:
By rights you need five things to paddlle in Canadian
coastal and inshore waters.
A paddle ( just one )
A PFD ( Boyancy Aid , Life Vest.)
A bailng device ( Pump or bailer )
A 15 Meter floating tow rope .
A sounding device ( Whistle )

Off shore or after dark there is more stuff.
Flares and Signaling device for over one mile from a
headland and a light visible from 360 degrees for night.
A flashlight qualifies there.

I would always carry a paddle float, inflatable in summer
and rigid styrafoam paddle float in winter.
Practice in reentry skills is a must as well.
Hope this helps Muzz
Alex

Maybe it's my terrible tiscali news server but there was loads of replies
from you there Alex !
Are you the guy from Newfoundland ? Watched a film called 'Shipping News' in
the hols set in Newfoundland, nice and a good film too.

[email protected] January 9th 06 04:01 PM

Essential Kit

Yes I am in Newfoundland and the server I think screwed up. It never
posted the reply and I thought it importsaant enough to try again when
it did not show up in an hour or so, then again, and apparently again
and again....
Shipping news was filmed a couple of hundred KM from here. It is quite
the spot. The landscape you see int he film is what we paddle in all
the time.
I am from Scotland but that goes back a long time.
Alex

VK1NF January 9th 06 05:42 PM

Essential Kit

We always - and I mean always - carry a dry bag which contains personal
emergency gear. Ours have a full change of clothes - mostly thrift store
wool, poly fleeces, etc - good hats and gloves, old running shoes, a
windproof nylon shell outer layer, basic shelter makings (polyethelene sheet
or Tyvek), fire making materials, repair stuff (duct tape, knife, twine,
etc.) and personal gear like spare glasses/essential meds/etc. The bags are
stowed in the toe of the cockpit - if worse comes to worst, and you're
forced to abandon the boat, you can grab the bag, get ashore, and survive.
BTW - your post didn't mention any sort of thermal protection - I
imagine your waters are also dangerously cold - do you use wet or dry suits?
If not, give it some very serious thought - don't think I'd last 10-15
minutes in our winter water here without good thermal protection.
"muzz"
Delete NOSPAM to reply to

VK1NF January 9th 06 05:46 PM

Essential Kit

We always - and I mean always - carry a dry bag which contains personal
emergency gear. Ours have a full change of clothes - mostly thrift store
wool, poly fleeces, etc - good hats and gloves, old running shoes, a
windproof nylon shell outer layer, basic shelter makings (polyethelene sheet
or Tyvek), fire making materials, repair stuff (duct tape, knife, twine,
etc.) and personal gear like spare glasses/essential meds/etc. The bags are
stowed in the toe of the cockpit - if worse comes to worst, and you're
forced to abandon the boat, you can grab the bag, get ashore, and survive.
BTW - your post didn't mention any sort of thermal protection - I
imagine your waters are also dangerously cold - do you use wet or dry suits?
If not, give it some very serious thought - don't think I'd last 10-15
minutes in our winter water here without good thermal protection.

Rick
Upper Gullies, NF CA

muzz January 9th 06 09:08 PM

Essential Kit

VK1NF wrote:
.. BTW - your post
didn't mention any sort of thermal protection - I
imagine your waters are also dangerously cold - do you
use wet or dry suits? If not, give it some very serious
thought - don't think I'd last 10-15 minutes in our
winter water here without good thermal protection.

Not sure whether that was aimed at me or Alex. I already have and wear
wetsuit, dry cag, wet suit boots and now waterproof trousers for when I get
out of the boat. I have just one 25l dry bag that will take a change of
clothes, will need more for other things though.

[email protected] January 10th 06 02:34 AM

Essential Kit

I normally wear a dry suit. I have a couple of wet suits for the nicer
parts of summer.
I normally ( not always ) have a change of cloths. They are the fast
dry stuffable gear with good polypro in there. I slap sneekers or
decent walking shoes in a hatch if there is any possibility of a hike.
Booties are useless if you have to haul a boat out 2 KM over ea rough
trail. I have had to do that once.
Oh, Hi Rick. Just realized who this is: And where you are.
Muzz is in Scotland and they get the Gulf Stream. Sub zero waters is
rare there and the snow we had " that was not forecast " Boxing Day
would have crippled the UK.
Muzz ; Rick is about 30 KM from me . Rick builds some great boats.
We get Ice bergs here, they would mess up the Clyde.
Water temp in Scotland and the greater UK is much more hospitable than
here. The UK has less coast line and more rescue facilities than we
could ever hope for.
The environment is a little different.
Alex

Rob January 10th 06 06:08 PM

Essential Kit

Aye, and even at the temps in Scotland, you'll not last long enough for the
rescue services to actually get to you before you're likely to be dead.

Don't go alone - and don't go out in conditions beyond your ability to
cope - all the paddle floats in the world won't save you in conditions that
have put you in the water in the first place. Competent mates and the
knowledge of how to get back in the boat might.

wrote in message
oups.com...
(Snip) Water temp in Scotland and the greater UK is much more hospitable

muzz January 10th 06 10:57 PM

Essential Kit

Rob wrote:
you before you're likely to be dead.

Don't go alone - and don't go out in conditions beyond
your ability to cope - all the paddle floats in the world
won't save you in conditions that have put you in the
water in the first place. Competent mates and the
knowledge of how to get back in the boat might.

I live on the east coast where the sea temps are a little lower than the
west but it's usually not so windy, and I have been doing most of my
paddling in the Firth which does give more protection from inclement
weather. I totally agree that it would be difficult to get back into a boat
if conditions are bad enough to tip you out.
When I bought the gear at the shop today guess what the girl said ? You're
not going out on your own are you ?
I'll take the advice of the more experienced and if alone I'll stick to the
coast in the Firth when the forecast is good and also get on more club
trips. Three star training can't be far away.

Rob January 10th 06 11:35 PM

Essential Kit

Muzz, seriously, concerned! Just to put that into context, of the
"incidents" I know about from reading UKSKGB and the SCA incident reports,
and from other folk, I know of 4 in the Firth of Forth in the last 36
months. I know of one other (Summer Isles) last Easter.

muzz January 11th 06 10:53 AM

Essential Kit

Yes I'm afraid I will still be going out alone! The Cromarty Firth is
physically very different from the open Firth of Forth. After seeing it
almost every day for the last 20 years that I have lived on it's
shoreline I have a pretty good idea of what it is capable of. I'm no
hero and have no qualms about changing or ditching a pre planned
paddle.
I winter hillwalk also and completed a walk in the holidays ( on my own
! ) that I had abandoned the previous year due to poor visibilty.
That said, I know I can still be caught out, we all can. Careful
consideration, local knowledge, common sense and as you say experience
must all be used in assessing the situation and reducing the risk. My
very stable boat helps too !
I do appreciate your concerns and value any advice. I hope I have gone
some way to making you believe that I am not a nutter.
I won't be going out today. Check the forecast for my area. :-)

Peter Clinch January 16th 06 09:11 AM

Essential Kit

muzz wrote:
Yes I'm afraid I will still be going out alone!

The usual advice is the old Chestnut "less than 3 there shall never
be!", but note that the same people that give you this advice were very
happy to support Pete Bray's solo Atlantic kayak crossing, so it has to
be seen that it's a guideline rather than a rule set in stone.

Things like split paddles are a bit of a no-brainer, because unlike
walking gear the excess weight and bulk isn't really an issue. I'd
always take splits and a paddle float if I was out on my own (if you
know anyone going to Canada you can get MEC's paddle floats for half of
what the equivalent costs here, or make up your own). I always take a
tow line, but if you're on your own then it's of rather less use than a
float!

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

muzz January 16th 06 04:28 PM

Essential Kit

Peter Clinch wrote:
muzz wrote:
Yes I'm afraid I will still be going out alone!

The usual advice is the old Chestnut "less than 3 there
shall never be!", but note that the same people that give
you this advice were very happy to support Pete Bray's
solo Atlantic kayak crossing,

I have decided to compromise and paddle along the sore in the firth on my
own. I'll go out and maybe do the short crossing to the Black Isle if it's
dead calm. I'm only going out in the 'real' sea with company.

(if you know anyone
going to Canada you can get MEC's paddle floats for half
of what the equivalent costs here, or make up your own).

Bought most of the gear in Aviemore last week including a float but she
didn't have the pump with a float so I didn't buy one. I'm sure my good wife
will be phoning shortly to order me a rudder !!! so can sort out a pump too.
--
Muzz
my email is muzzmackay 'at' gmail 'dot' com

[email protected] January 20th 06 02:31 AM

Essential Kit

I watched Peter Brey leave on his Trans atlantic adventures; both of
them.
His first failed with a $80,000.oo search involved in finding him.
If you are going to cross the atlantic a life boat may be required.