posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle
Roos Eisma

Default "Sea" kayaking near Keswick

I bought myself a new boat in the end of season sale at Knoydart, so we
will go up next week to pick it up. We're thinking of making a weekend
out of it, stay the night and go for a paddle the next day before driving
back. Assuming the blizzards will have stopped by then what would be a
nice place for a couple of hours pootle? It can be near Keswick or a bit
further along on our way back to Dundee.
Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Roos
posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle
Rob

Wwell, Derwent Water is the obvious near Keswick choice - or Ullswater is
lovely - or Windermere - or Coniston.

"Rob" writes:

Wwell, Derwent Water is the obvious near Keswick choice - or Ullswater is
lovely - or Windermere - or Coniston.

Yes, looking at the map was what brought on the plan in the first place.
But I was wondering if some lakes should be avoided, or if one was
particularly scenic, or if there was a good starting point somewhere.
I could be trusted to find the one spot where there is the annual jetski
competition going on!

Roos

posted to uk.rec.boats.paddle
Rob

Can't comment on jet bikes, but all offer nice scenery. Ullswater - put in
at the northern end from one of the many roadside car parks and paddle down
to the steamer pier having checked the coffee shop is open first. The east
side is lovely.

Windermere is, well, Windermere. Theres a slip at Waterhead near Ablseside.

Coniston offers a couple of put ins either at the steamer pier or the head
of the loch and you can paddle to Brandwood for coffee (again, check its
open) and then down to the islands half way down which I understand was the
inspiration for the island in Swallows and Amazons. All very pretty.

And they can all be very bumpy if the weather's "interesting".

Rob

"Rob" writes:

Can't comment on jet bikes, but all offer nice scenery. Ullswater - put in
at the northern end from one of the many roadside car parks and paddle down
to the steamer pier having checked the coffee shop is open first. The east
side is lovely.

Windermere is, well, Windermere. Theres a slip at Waterhead near Ablseside.

Coniston offers a couple of put ins either at the steamer pier or the head
of the loch and you can paddle to Brandwood for coffee (again, check its
open) and then down to the islands half way down which I understand was the
inspiration for the island in Swallows and Amazons. All very pretty.

And they can all be very bumpy if the weather's "interesting".

Thanks for the tips, I'll save them for later! The current plan now is to
visit an old friend in Dumfries for the night, so it will be a paddle
along the coast near there on the Sunday. Weather permitting...
Though we may just have time for a short try out near Keswick on the
Saturday

Roos