BoatBanter.com

-   UK Paddle (https://www.boatbanter.com/uk-paddle/)
-   -   UK Directory of suitable Kayak TOURING waters?? (https://www.boatbanter.com/uk-paddle/24828-uk-directory-suitable-kayak-touring-waters.html)

Jayno55 November 16th 04 04:37 PM

Thanks Mike. Your 'informed' view on the lochs to go for is just the sort
of response I was hoping for. I'll try the Guidebook Forum at some point
as you suggest.

J :-))

Fiona November 25th 04 01:25 PM

"Jayno55" wrote in message alkaboutboats.com...
I wonder if anyone has ever compiled a UK directory, list, guide, map,
website or whatever for those of us who want to go Kayak day-wandering,
overnight touring, or sea exploring? If yes - please tell me where to find
this information, what to read, or who to ask or contact. If no, shall we
just start listing the best waters we know, here, or has someone a better
suggestion (for example, a dedicated website that all could contribute to,
or perhaps some kind of dedicated/organised, special "Locations"
index/forum on here?)

I am new to Kayaking and I live in Sheffield, which isn't the most optimal
location for this activity. So I want to find out where to go for suitable
waters, so I can weigh up travel distances and times, decide on overnight
issues etc., and maybe even link up with fellow kayakers in given areas. I
am starting to ask around locally, but most kayakers seem to go to, and
thus only know about, a few locations. I would like to get the most
comprehensive picture I can.

I tend to do most of my information research through book/map reading and
internet sources. Trouble is, I don't think there are any kayaker-friendly
maps, and I find most of the industry/club/course company websites just
rant on about "great White Water" locations - that's not what I am after.
What I want to find out about is good canal stretches, lazy rivers, lakes,
lochs, reservoirs, estuaries and kayak-friendly coastal locations etc.

Your info, tips or thoughts ladies and gentlemen please ...?

you might try
www.seapaddler.co.uk
i think that is the web site. a friend has some photo postings there.
i find launching and using a chart the best way to check out a new
area.
it is fun to discover spots no one else ( i know ) have ever been.
check out the gareloch , It is nice to sneek up un the navys subs and
be told to bu!!*r off. roseneath is a pretty spot, clynder used to
have a family boat yard and last I saw had some rather posh yachts
anchored there. through the narrows and off to killcregan or
hellensburg ( watch for the tide it can run at 4 knots in the narrows
) It is a pretty place. You can launch all along the north shore of
the Gareloch, there were remnants of slips and jattys there where
mcgruer and company used to be in clynder. there was a place to park
and no one will challenge you as long as you don't block anything up.
You can launch in gareloch head as well. the low tide will leave you
with a long and smelly walk should you have to hoof it back to your
motor after a paddle. i use wheelies for my capella, i keep them in
the car.
sorry for spelling errors it has been along time.