Nick

Default Tight fit!?!

I feared that my comment about needing two hands to remove my Switch
deck might be a little controversial... ;o)

But to try and explain my decision, I should explain that I only use
this deck for playboating/surfing, in situations where I judge that I
will *probably* not need to pull my deck (touch wood, cross fingers,
ensure 4leaf clover is at hand). I use other boats (Inazone, H2Zone)
with another deck thats much easier to get on/off for running rivers,
where there is a greater chance of doing an unplanned exit. With a
great deal of effort I can release my deck one-handed, and if I ever
found myself in a one-handed situation, I believe I would be out of
that boat fast enough (a dislocated shoulder is a LOT of motivation).

Its been 6years since I last pulled my deck whilst capsized, and in
that time my only other swims have been when my deck has been blown
in by large dumping waves while surfing. Those long, forced swims put
me at a much greater risk than paddling with a tight deck, which is
why I prefer something thats "bomb-proof". Without wanting to
generalise too much, I would say that as you paddle more difficult
conditions, this becomes even more important.

But in the end, just as with all such sports, its down to what your
paddling, your personal preference, confidence and judgement on the
day.

Happy paddling.

Cheers,
Nick.

"Mark Williamson" wrote in message ...

Finally if it took me two hands in normal use to remove a deck, then i would
not paddle with it!!! How do get it off whilst weak and disorientated
after a capsize at the end of a long day, or after popping a shoulder?? I
know motivation helps, but frankly i'd rather not take that risk!!

Stress Crack in Bow Eye Area - Winching Too Tight? Slambram General 5 May 4th 04 09:02 PM
Tapered thread thru-hulls ? Trent D. Sanders Cruising 12 March 2nd 04 01:39 AM
warping, tight slip, adverse wind Charles T. Low General 8 February 16th 04 12:29 AM
Wetsuit fit? bkr General 3 October 9th 03 05:24 PM
Proof positive that Canadians are tight wads. :-) LaBomba182 Cruising 6 October 7th 03 03:42 PM