posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring
RW RW is offline

Default ADIRONDACK TIPS

Hi: I'm new to this group. I paddle a Prijon Kodiak and have camping
experience in the Saranac Lakes System, where carrying is generally
not involved (except for Bartlett Carry into Upper Saranac) . I'd
like to get into the St. Regis Canoe area and try something like the 7
Carries for starters. I've never portaged a kayak.... I DO have a
nice C-TUG cart that I've until now only used for portaging in
parking lots Can anyone help me with identifying various carries
between ponds in the St. Regis that are wheelable, and more
importantly, which carries to avoid like the plague? Any particular
tips for getting the job done smoothly would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks in advance. Are there any "guidebooks" that address the
portage situation for Kayaks for the various Adirondack areas?
Everything I've seen is very sketchy on carries. RON W
posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring

Talk to Dave at St Regis Canoe outfitters (http://
www.canoeoutfitters.com). He set me up on a nice circle trip a few
years ago.

Steve
posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring
RW RW is offline

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 13:59:08 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Talk to Dave at St Regis Canoe outfitters (http://
www.canoeoutfitters.com). He set me up on a nice circle trip a few
years ago.

Steve

Thanks Steve:
I'll check the site out. BTW: Did you portage a kayak or canoe?
Cart or carry? My guess is that the best kayak solution is to NOT go
solo, and then, with a partner, carry a kayak in each hand by it's
bow/stern handle.
posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring

Solo trip with a Kevlar canoe, carrying. I did one carry with the pack,
paddle and canoe all together, then got smarter and made two trips after
that. Although one carry I ran into a bunch of Boy Scouts who hadn't
done their good deed yet, and they carried all my gear across.

I don't think I'd do a kayak trip with a lot of carries. Takes too long
to pack and unpack.