posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring
Smiling Dog

Default Gel Coat for Kevlar Canoe

Hello all,

I am considering building a kevlar canoe and was wondering if anyone knows
how possible it is to do a home gel coat? Has anyone ever done this? Also,
if anyone has built a kevlar canoe, how did it go?

Thanks.

Chris

posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring
geodenny

Hi,
I have just the opposite Question. I have a Sawyer Summersong kevlar
with gel coat. Gel coat is cracked extensively from white water
smashups, but the kevlar inside is perfect. Thinking of removing the
gel coat, but not sure of what I'll have left for structual integrity.
Are you wanting to put on a gel coat for better protection and
strength?
I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be feasibleto apply a coat to
your canoe, but might have to install different gunnels.
George

posted to rec.boats.paddle.touring
Michael Daly

On 13-Apr-2006, "geodenny" wrote:

Thinking of removing the
gel coat, but not sure of what I'll have left for structual integrity.

You can ignore gelcoat as far as structural integrity goes. The fiber
reinforced resin is all you can count on for strength. Gelcoat just makes
the boat look pretty and keeps the UV away from the resin.

Mike