Gene Cosloy

Default Fixing Velcro to Kayaks

I need to fix some velcro to my cockpit seat so I can keep a skwoosh
pad from slipping around. I notice that some manufacturers that make
accessories for kayaks include adhesive backed velcro for this purpose.
Any off the shelf product I've tried very soon becomes loosened and
unattached by sea water. if you have had luck doing same, what did you
use?

Thanks,
Gene

John Weiss

"Gene Cosloy" wrote...
I need to fix some velcro to my cockpit seat so I can keep a skwoosh
pad from slipping around. I notice that some manufacturers that make
accessories for kayaks include adhesive backed velcro for this purpose.
Any off the shelf product I've tried very soon becomes loosened and
unattached by sea water. if you have had luck doing same, what did you
use?

My local kayak shop sells a contact cement (apparently rubber based)
specifically for this (plus foam). Works great!

Michael Daly

On 23-Sep-2005, "Gene Cosloy" wrote:

Any off the shelf product I've tried very soon becomes loosened and
unattached by sea water.

What you use will depend on what the seat is made of. I've had no
problems with self-adhesive Velcro on ABS and sticking to a fiberglass
seat is not a problem. Polyethylene will be difficult. If you know
the plastic, you can look for the right adhesive. The odds are the
stuff for WW canoes and kayaks should work.

Mike
Brian Nystrom

Gene Cosloy wrote:
I need to fix some velcro to my cockpit seat so I can keep a skwoosh
pad from slipping around. I notice that some manufacturers that make
accessories for kayaks include adhesive backed velcro for this purpose.
Any off the shelf product I've tried very soon becomes loosened and
unattached by sea water.

That's pretty much par for the course with self-adhesive Velcro, even
their "Industrial Strength" product. However, if the Velcro is going to
be under pressure, rather than tension, it should hold OK. Just don't
expect to be able to remove and install the pad frequently. If you need
to do that, your best bet would be to lash/strap it in place, You may
need to install some grommets or attach some small Fastex buckles. You
can install grommets in the original holes or glue webbing tabs with
small Fastex buckles over them.

If you want to try the Velcro route. Use small piece at the edges. Clean
the seat and the bottom of the pad with alcohol and attach the hook side
of the Velcro to the bottom of the pad. Install the loop side on the
hook, then press the pad into place on the seat. Should the loop pieces
come off the seat, reinstall them using solvent-based contact cement
(not water based).