BUB

Default paddle repair

I recall reading an article on repairing the ferrule area on a paddle when
they become loose. It seems they used some type of epoxy, but I cannot
locate the article. Does anyone recall such and article? or have
suggestions? It was something about building the plastic end up with
something and then sanding to fit the carbon fiber end. Can't seem to find
it on the web or in my stack of magazines. One of those things you skip over
because you don't need to know it right now and then promptly forget where
it was. These things happen in the mid fifties. My mid-fifties, your milage
may vary.
Thanks,
Bub

Brian Nystrom

BUB wrote:
I recall reading an article on repairing the ferrule area on a paddle when
they become loose. It seems they used some type of epoxy, but I cannot
locate the article. Does anyone recall such and article? or have
suggestions? It was something about building the plastic end up with
something and then sanding to fit the carbon fiber end. Can't seem to find
it on the web or in my stack of magazines. One of those things you skip over
because you don't need to know it right now and then promptly forget where
it was. These things happen in the mid fifties. My mid-fifties, your milage
may vary.
Thanks,
Bub

There's no need for an article, as the process is very straigtforward.
Simply paint the male end of the ferrule with a THIN coat of epoxy, then
test fit it after it cures (marine epoxy is probably best, but it really
doesn't matter). If it's still loose, add another THIN coat. Repeat
until it's a bit too tight to fit together. Slowly sand down the high
spots with fine sandpaper (220 or 320 grit) until you get a snug fit. If
the hole for the button in the female part of the ferrule has become
enlarged, you can paint the edges of it with epoxy in the same manner to
tighten the fit.