Jerold Pearson

Default Fla****er kayaking near SF Bay Area

Any suggestions, other than Lake Tahoe, for a place for fla****er kayaking
within a few hours' drive of the San Francisco Bay Area? I'm looking for
somewhere scenic that also has a place to rent kayaks. (I'm not interested
in ocean or whitewater locations.)

Thanks.

JEP
Peter

Jerold Pearson wrote:
Any suggestions, other than Lake Tahoe, for a place for fla****er kayaking
within a few hours' drive of the San Francisco Bay Area? I'm looking for
somewhere scenic that also has a place to rent kayaks. (I'm not interested
in ocean or whitewater locations.)

Richardson Bay by Sausalito (just north of the Golden Gate bridge from
SF) is usually quite sheltered and rental boats are available from Sea Trek.

Blue Waters offers rentals on Tomales Bay.

Monterey Bay Kayaks has locations in both Moss Landing on Elkhorn Slough
and in Monterey on the bay. Note that Elkhorn Slough can get
significant west winds in the afternoon so allow yourself enough time
for the return paddle.

Don Freeman

"Jerold Pearson" wrote in message
.103...
Any suggestions, other than Lake Tahoe, for a place for fla****er kayaking
within a few hours' drive of the San Francisco Bay Area? I'm looking for
somewhere scenic that also has a place to rent kayaks. (I'm not
interested
in ocean or whitewater locations.)

Lake Natoma in Sacramento. California Canoe & Kayaks has a large supply of
rentals there.
Oakland Estuary. CC&K has a store there also.
http://www.calkayak.com

San Franciso Bay. City Kayak has Rentals and is just a few minutes paddle
from SBC Park if you want to join the contingency down there that collects
for all the Giants games.
http://citykayak.web.aplus.net/

A couple of good resources for kayak information in this area are

Bay Area Sea Kayakers: http://www.bask.org
Sierra Sea Kayakers: http://www.sskpc.org/index.html

-Don
--