MikeSoja

Default New kayak storage...

Just for the sake of showing off my new velcro-powered, homemade
kayak support system:

http://web.newsguy.com/sphere/msoja/...day.php?pix=34

So far the velcro gives no indication that it can't hold the kayak
up, but for added peace of mind (and security), when the boat is
nestled against the ceiling, I loop aircraft cables around the fore
and aft ends of the boat and lock their ends in the room above the
truck bay.

Mike Soja

Steve Cramer

Who cares about the velcro. I want to know how you get that red boat up
on the rack.

So, where is the velcro, exactly? Under the hull?

Steve

MikeSoja wrote:

Just for the sake of showing off my new velcro-powered, homemade
kayak support system:

http://web.newsguy.com/sphere/msoja/...day.php?pix=34

So far the velcro gives no indication that it can't hold the kayak
up, but for added peace of mind (and security), when the boat is
nestled against the ceiling, I loop aircraft cables around the fore
and aft ends of the boat and lock their ends in the room above the
truck bay.

You go upstairs to lock up the boat?

--
Steve Cramer
Athens, GA
MikeSoja

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 19:56:51 -0400, Steve Cramer
posted:

Who cares about the velcro. I want to know how you get that red boat up
on the rack.

Usually, I take the red boat down or put it up while standing in the
bed of my pickup truck, but I've done it with a step ladder, too.

I was putting the white boat up there, too, but its extra length
made it more difficult in the close quarters, and I had to get it to
and from the far side of the pickup truck, over the J-cradles for
the red boat, and that was getting to be too much of a chore. Plus,
whenever I wanted to take just the red boat down, I had to get the
white boat out of the way, and then back up, etc.

So, where is the velcro, exactly? Under the hull?

One patch of velcro is about at the waterline and the other patch
about at the keel line.

Steve

MikeSoja wrote:

Just for the sake of showing off my new velcro-powered, homemade
kayak support system:

http://web.newsguy.com/sphere/msoja/...day.php?pix=34

So far the velcro gives no indication that it can't hold the kayak
up, but for added peace of mind (and security), when the boat is
nestled against the ceiling, I loop aircraft cables around the fore
and aft ends of the boat and lock their ends in the room above the
truck bay.

You go upstairs to lock up the boat?

Yeah, the garage has two small upstairs rooms, which are also locked
up. I don't think it would be impossible to steal the boats, but it
would take a few tools, and a good bit of work.

Of course, I try to take the boats *with* me as much as possible, so
I can keep an eye on them.

Mike Soja