Tinkerntom

Default Saturday March 19: South Platte trip, Colorado

Dave Allured wrote:
Hello boaters.

Everyone is invited to the Fourth Annual South Platte River Joint

Paddle
Trip. This is a casual flat water day trip with two destinations at

9
and 14 river miles. The location is Evans to Kuner, southeast of
Greeley, Colorado. We expect about 30 to 40 people.

This event is hosted by Rocky Mountain Canoe Club, Poudre Paddlers

Club,
Rocky Mountain Sea Kayak Club, Canoe Colorado, Colorado White Water
Association, and High Country River Rafters. For more details,

please
visit this website:

http://www.rockymountaincanoeclub.org/2005/platte1.html

--Dave A., Webmaster
Rocky Mountain Canoe Club
http://www.rockymountaincanoeclub.org/
303-499-9466

Any trip reports on this S.Platte tour? Tnt

Marek

Tinkerntom wrote:

Any trip reports on this S.Platte tour? Tnt

Well, I started at 6:30am just after sunrise from Kersey and paddled
upstream. First few miles were quite chilly (~24F). I had to knock down
a lot of ice from my decj before first dam portage. After 9.5 miles and
4.5 hour of paddling I reached Evans when paddlers from the club trip
just started to paddle downriver. A variety of boats including canoes,
sea kayaks, and different whitewater boats. I don't think that anybody
realized that I had paddled the all way upstream ...

After a short break and early lunch I paddled dowstream too and stayed
with the group for a while. I left them at the second dam (lunch break)
and finished my trip about 2pm at Kersey. Nice warm day and enough water
for a good trip. However, I was too tired to really enjoy the downriver
part of my trip. The upstream workout was great.

I don't have good pictures from my trip (too busy paddling or too tired
or too lousy light) but you can always check my photo reports from my
previous paddling on South Platte River.
http://users.frii.com/uliasz/wayfarer/southplatte.htm

Three years ago I participated the same way in the first joint club trip
but I was able to start from Mitani-Tokuyasu SWA, so I had to paddle
only 7 miles upstream (that access point is closed this year till August).

Marek
http://www.MarekUliasz.com