shooter

Default paddeling the swamps

hi you all,as i am new to this group,and have red some of the
post,looks like i may be the only pirogue man in the bunch. i live in
south cent. louisiana. i am an avid fisher and hunter. i also build
pirogues,a craft native to my state. no one knows who built the first
one although i am sure it was probley hewn from a log. the old
frenchmen called this boat a (sharp) beacuse it was pointed on both
ends. this allowed the paddeler to just turn around in the boat and
paddle out of tight spots(which is common in the back water of the
swamps) the boats range in lenth from 10 to 16 ft. and can be made from
wood ,glass,aluminium . unlike a kayak the pirogue in not a rough water
boat,and was designed for travel in the wooded back waters and shallows
of the swamps and costal marsh.
i have used kayaks and find them rather nice although i haven't
paddled enough in one to make a fair judment of their use here.
i have been paddeling pirogues from the age of eight,and now at 56
yrs old i still paddle them,i aldo camp quiet often out of a back pack
.. i always boat in though with my pirogue,and see much wildlife,and
catch all the fish i want,and i can tell you without my pirogue i would
never have the success i have.
shooter

Richard Ferguson

I had to look up pirogue on the internet, and found the website below.
Do your boats look like that? What do you make them from, wood? How
wide are they? Do you paddle them, row them, or pole them? I have been
getting into canoe poling lately, good for going upstream in shallow water.

http://www.unclejohns.com/boat/default.htm

It looks like a pirogue is very much like a canoe. There are lots of
folks here that paddle canoes.

We were going to head down to Lafayette LA for the music festival in
April, but it looks like we can't make it this year. Maybe when I come
down I should bring my canoe and paddle the swamps. Where are you
located? Any suggestions on prime paddling spots in the swamps? I
don't hunt, but I do fish.

Richard