BCITORGB

Default Paddling single in a tandem - what about weight?

After several years of renting, I purchased a tandem [Necky Amaruk] a
couple of weeks ago. I figure either my wife or my daughter will
accompany me most of the time. However, I anticipate that I'll be more
fanatical than they. So, on those days when I'm alone, are there
recommendations re weight distribution? Is it much of an issue? Should
I place dead weight on the forward cockpit? Should I place dead weight
near the bow? Any good ideas re dead weight; I'm thinking of bottled
water in a mesh bag.

Thanks in advance.

frtzw906

Gary S.

On 2 Mar 2005 10:16:46 -0800, "BCITORGB"
wrote:

After several years of renting, I purchased a tandem [Necky Amaruk] a
couple of weeks ago. I figure either my wife or my daughter will
accompany me most of the time. However, I anticipate that I'll be more
fanatical than they. So, on those days when I'm alone, are there
recommendations re weight distribution? Is it much of an issue? Should
I place dead weight on the forward cockpit? Should I place dead weight
near the bow? Any good ideas re dead weight; I'm thinking of bottled
water in a mesh bag.

A friend does this with his smallish 2 person canoe going solo, but
with just him in it he reverses the bow and stern to get better
balance with less ballast, and a better position for paddling.

Obviously easier with two pointy ends. ;-)

Just be clear which bottles have known drinkable water, and which have
river water.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)
--
At the 51st percentile of ursine intelligence

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA
Richard Ferguson

I do it all the time. I don't usually add weight to my boat just to get
the trim right, but if I have camping gear, etc., then I will try to use
it to trim the boat level.

I paddle the boat backwards, sitting on the "front" seat. When the
situation merits, I kneel and move forward to the center thwart, which
gets me close to the center of the boat.

Be aware that when the wind is strong, trim is critical, and the high
end of the boat will tend to point downwind. You may need to change
position (trim) if you have high wind. The classic error is sitting in
the rear of the boat trying to go against a headwind. It can look
pretty comical, if you are on shore. Better to turn around and put the
high end of the boat downwind.

Richard

BCITORGB wrote:
After several years of renting, I purchased a tandem [Necky Amaruk] a
couple of weeks ago. I figure either my wife or my daughter will
accompany me most of the time. However, I anticipate that I'll be more
fanatical than they. So, on those days when I'm alone, are there
recommendations re weight distribution? Is it much of an issue? Should
I place dead weight on the forward cockpit? Should I place dead weight
near the bow? Any good ideas re dead weight; I'm thinking of bottled
water in a mesh bag.

Thanks in advance.

frtzw906

BCITORGB

==========
I paddle the boat backwards, sitting on the "front" seat. When the
situation merits, I kneel and move forward to the center thwart, which
gets me close to the center of the boat.
=======================

I'm thinking this suggestion will be difficult with the rudder in the
stern GRIN. Is your suggestion canoe-specific?

The Necky Amaruk is a tandem kayak.

frtzw906

Brian Nystrom

BCITORGB wrote:
After several years of renting, I purchased a tandem [Necky Amaruk] a
couple of weeks ago. I figure either my wife or my daughter will
accompany me most of the time. However, I anticipate that I'll be more
fanatical than they. So, on those days when I'm alone, are there
recommendations re weight distribution? Is it much of an issue? Should
I place dead weight on the forward cockpit? Should I place dead weight
near the bow? Any good ideas re dead weight; I'm thinking of bottled
water in a mesh bag.

Paddling a tandem solo is generally a bad idea, as it can become
completely uncontrollable in any significant wind and waves, due to poor
weight distribution.

riverman

"BCITORGB" wrote in message
oups.com...
==========

===========================
The classic error is sitting in
the rear of the boat trying to go against a headwind. It can look
pretty comical, if you are on shore.
=============================

I'm thinking that this statement, as it appears, is pretty comical. g

--riverman

BCITORGB

Brian says:
=======
Paddling a tandem solo is generally a bad idea, as it can become
completely uncontrollable in any significant wind and waves, due to
poor
weight distribution.
===============

Are there any recommendations then about adding weight, distributing it
appropriately, and ensuring that it doesn't shift?

Wilf

BCITORGB wrote:
Brian says:
=======
Paddling a tandem solo is generally a bad idea, as it can become
completely uncontrollable in any significant wind and waves, due to
poor
weight distribution.
===============

Are there any recommendations then about adding weight, distributing

it
appropriately, and ensuring that it doesn't shift?

Wilf

Simple enough. put your stuff in the front hatch or fill it with juggs
of water , put a spray cover or cockpit cover over the forward combing
and paddle away. The boat is heavy, long and kind of slow with one
paddler. Don't go out in 50 MPH winds and you should be fine.
Even if you put nothing up front you will be OK. I have paddled these
things a fair bit. ( I hate them , they are not my Capella or Explorer
). but it will work.
Anyone wanting to sell a single should get the posters address, he will
be after a single soon.
There are some great expeditions done with double kayaks paddled by a
lone paddler needing more carrying capacity.
You will want wheels for that monster. it is 100 lbs or close enough.
Good Luck
Alex

riverman

wrote in message
oups.com...

BCITORGB wrote:
Brian says:
=======
[...]

The only time I have seen someone paddle single in tandems, he sat in the
FRONT cockpit. He said that it was easier to 'drag' the rest of the boat
behind him and maneuver through rocks, currents, etc, than it was to 'push'
the front of the boat through turns.

YMMV, I'm an openboater. I sit in the middle.

--riverman