Will

Fly to British Columbia - Paddle Bowron Lakes in interior of province.

Nice and remote. Only the bears and deer to bother you.

DrLith wrote:
Fine folks at r.b.p.t:

I am getting married in early August, and as with all things "wedding,"
planning for the perfect honeymoon must begin far in advance!

The original thought was to do something like a 6-day trip in Quetico or
BWCA; I've done a similar-length trip in Quetico, and the solitude just
cannot be beat. However, it slowly dawned on me that it'd be 20 hrs driving
time from wedding site to Ely, or more like 23 hrs to Atikokan. If we had
more time and could make a leisurely road-trip of it, that'd be ok, but the
gathering-of-families for the wedding itself is already eating into my
vacation time. It will be a fantastic anniversary trip one of these years.

Ok, so plan B would be to do a (probably canoe) camping trip within a 1-day
drive (defined as 12 hrs or less) of WV/MD, preferably of the more
backcountry variety. I have looked more at New England/ON, mostly because
I've got to figure anyplace farther south will be pretty stinky hot in
August.

I have so far briefly considered many options, with Adirondacks, Algonquin
PP, or Allagash probably heading the list.

(a) are there other options I should look at? A 5-6 day single trip would be
ideal, but we could put together a couple of shorter river trips as well.
Does anyone have experience with La Verendrye (the Quebec one) or La
Mauricie?

(b) we currently own an old battleship of a Grumman 18' canoe that works
just fine for piddling around with 2 kids, dog, etc. However, I can't
imagine it'd be fun to portage for any length. Hence, if we went to
Algonquin, we'd surely either rent something more suitable or consider
upgrading to something lighter. However, would it be conceivable to get
through the carries on the popular Adirondack routes with such a boat of a
boat? I will be accompanied by my fabulous new husband, of course, eager to
prove his love to me through displays of ravenous manliness.

--
Will