Blakely LaCroix

Default Hobie MirageDrive

I got off a plane the other day and passed a Hobie display setup in the
airport.
Some interesting stuff.

Check out the Hobie MirageDrive. Anyone use one of these things yet?
Most interested in comments from users

---
Blakely LaCroix
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA.
RBP Clique member # 86.

The best adventure is yet to come.
Steve Cramer

Blakely LaCroix wrote:

Check out the Hobie MirageDrive. Anyone use one of these things yet?
Most interested in comments from users

It's got low end acceleration. Check out the video
http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaking/miragedrive.html

--
Steve Cramer
Athens, GA
Courtney

I tried one out at EORA (eastern outdoor retailer association) the first
year they came out. I had alot of fun paddling one. It was great exercise
for the legs and if you use your paddle as well it's some really great
exercise. I thought it moved through the water pretty well with these fins.

Courtney

"Blakely LaCroix" wrote in message

I got off a plane the other day and passed a Hobie display setup in the
airport.
Some interesting stuff.

Check out the Hobie MirageDrive. Anyone use one of these things yet?
Most interested in comments from users

---
Blakely LaCroix
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA.
RBP Clique member # 86.

The best adventure is yet to come.

Joe Pylka

Check out the Hobie MirageDrive. Anyone use one of these things yet?
Most interested in comments from users

You're not necessarily using a paddle so there could be some stability
problems -- you can't brace. I know one person who has one and it works
very well for him. On shallow stretches of water the fins fold back and he
has to allow inertia to get him across some things.
Also, this person has only one arm, so this is about the only way for
him to enjoy paddling -- and he does very well, thank you...

Joe P.

joe

In article ,
(Blakely LaCroix) wrote:

I got off a plane the other day and passed a Hobie display setup in the
airport.
Some interesting stuff.

Check out the Hobie MirageDrive. Anyone use one of these things yet?
Most interested in comments from users

---
Blakely LaCroix
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA.
RBP Clique member # 86.

The best adventure is yet to come.

I have had one since they first came out. I actually have the 'Outback'
model as I use it for fishing. I test pedaled one of the Mirage models
before buying.

Other than possibly being frowned upon by more traditional paddlers it
really does offer some great benefits. Since you are using your big
muscles you can go all day and never really feel it. On top of that you
can go as fast at moderate exertion as those who are paddling pretty
hard. I can make 3 - 4 mph cruising and it will easily do 5-6 or sprint
at as much as 7 mph.

You can use the paddle with it and of course backward propulsion
requires it. My Outback is a little wider than the standard Mirage which
provides a little more stability but I would also assume some additional
drag. When the there is a high wind in my face and the waves are kicking
up I am always glad I an in the Mirage/Outback. You hands are free so
you can do some tasks but you will need to keep your right hand ready to
make steering corrections.

It goes in shallow water in spite of the flippers. I can make 1.5 mph
just fluttering the pedals about an inch or two. I have had it in rivers
with good success also. My fear in that environment is crushing a rock
or other submerged hazard and damaging the flippers. In fact, they are
pretty resilient though as I was coming down stream and pedaling fast,
about 7 mph and launched over a submerged log. It slightly bent my
flipper supports but I had no problem getting back and was able to bend
them out the half inch or so.
--
"Atlanta Joe" aka Joe Webb
Flats fishing is Flat Fun!