Kenneth McClelland

Default Kayak Building

Received the S&G manual from One Ocean today and from what I have read so
far it looks like a very good book.

--
KENNETH MCCLELLAND
"Kenneth McClelland" wrote in message news:...
I would like to take this time to thank everyone for their input. (BTW - I
started this thread just in case you haven't followed the whole thing.) I
have made my decision and am going to do the One Ocean Cirrus (S&G) this
winter. The final decision point was the time involved. I will be starting

few classes on-line in a little while and the time left over would not

allow
the completion of a strip built, in time for next year's paddling. Luckily
my computer and shop are mere feet away from each other and I will be able
to move between classes and the project quickly (this after my normal 40+
hours at a job), this will be a big help while waiting for things to dry

for
the next step. This will provide me with a new boat to paddle next summer
and if all goes well and I enjoy the process, I will do a strip built next
winter. Again thank you for all your responses. I'll let you know when I
start cutting wood and let you know how I make out.

--
KENNETH MCCLELLAND
"John Fereira" wrote in message
.. .
Ulli wrote in :

I can't see what one would gain by building a S&G first. Both
construction methods are so different that no essential skills are
learned by building a S&G first and a strip-planked kayak later.

I disagree. Both require learning how to work with fiberglass cloth and
epoxy resin. Both may use a similar method for constructing the cockpit
rim, hatches, an basic rigging.

Of course, one could build a S&G hull, strip-planked deck hybrid and

learn
skills required for both at the same time.