Barry

Default Numbness...

Ken...

I saw some gel pads that attach to the foot braces and provide not only a
soft gel pad for the ball of your foot but also for the heel. I'm going to
look in the paddle shops when I make my next trip to a larger city (I live
in a very remote area) and see if these gel pads are long enough for my size
14 feet. But, you're right about the nerves in the heel of your foot
getting easily pinched.

Once I get the numbness problem under control, I'll be ready for some longer
trips.

Barry

"Kenneth McClelland" wrote in message
Put some minicell sheet under your heels too. Amazing how much better it

is
without the nerves in the heel of you foot getting pinched.

--

"Dan OConnell" wrote in message
ink.net...

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...P_PADDLING_TOC
Sorry I got the brand wrong...but REI has them. I trimmed the top

flares
fit better
"Barry" wrote in message
nk.net...
Dan...

Where did you get the minicell wedges? Did you order them on the Net

or
find them at a shop? I'll do a search for Sealine products and see

what
can find.

Barry

"Dan OConnell" wrote in message
news I just solved that problem with my Necky Chatham...20 minutes max

for
legs
to go completely. I ended up with two minicell wedges already made

precut
by Sealine specifically for that purpose (to raise your thighs). I

put
the
2 inch rise right at the forward edge of the seat (under it) and can

do
hours with no problem. Cost was $15 I think.
Dan
"Barry" wrote in message
nk.net...
I'm a large paddler (6'3" 260 lbs) and live in a rather remote

area
in
Northern California. I purchased an Old Town Adventurer 139

XL...which
the
dealer told me was the best choice for someone my size and yet

still
within
my price range (I wanted to stay under $1000.00). I had some

experience
prior to that with a relatively inexpensive kayak purchased from

the
local
Costco store several years ago. However, it was too small for me

and
did
not have bulkheads. I gave it to my daughter. I like my Old Town

kayak
but
on my first all day trip, I had real problems with numbness in

both
legs
and
feet. I suspect that I need to have the seat bottom tilted back a

bit
but
the seat is mounted with screws through the sides of the kayak and

am
not
sure how I can accomplish this. Someone told me to use my paddle

float
as
pad to put under my thighs but I've not tried it yet. Other than

the
numbness problem, I'm happy with the kayak. I plan on using it a

lot
and
then making another purchase down the road when I have a better

handle
on
what I want. My question is how to best deal with the numbness

problem.
Should I remove the seat, plug the holes and purchase an

aftermarket
seat?
Is there any way that I can tilt the seat that it came with

without
making
more holes in my kayak? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Barry