Andrea

Default Danube by Kajak

Hi,
I am planning to go down the Danube river from Ulm to Costanta on an
inflatable kajak this Summer.

Since I have sailed only on lakes before, I would like to get some
advice from anyone who has some more experience.
In particular, I would like to get some more information on the
"typical" dangers I could come across on the Danube, such as traffic,
ships, strong current or... beaurocracy.

Thanks
Helge Tepp

On 19 Jun 2004 08:44:58 -0700, (Andrea) wrote:

Hi,
I am planning to go down the Danube river from Ulm to Costanta on an
inflatable kajak this Summer.

Since I have sailed only on lakes before, I would like to get some
advice from anyone who has some more experience.
In particular, I would like to get some more information on the
"typical" dangers I could come across on the Danube, such as traffic,
ships, strong current or... beaurocracy.

Thanks

The Danube has a variety of different conditions.

You should google for more information.

There is an organised TID Tour International Danube - by the
International Canoe Federation.

Camp Sites are reserved, baggage transfer ist possible, no problems
with the many customs organisations etc. Also, transport back to
Germany is possible.

Look for information on link pages e.g. at KANU.DE

To my best knowledge the tour lasts about nine weeks. You can do two
weeks this year and continue from there next year etc.

This years start in Germany is on June 26, Austria July 4th, Slovakia
July 14, Hungary July 19, Serbia July 28, Bulgaria August 14, finish
August 29.

You must be able to do 60 km per day for several days in sequence,
every third or forth day is a rest day.

The Danube starts small and becomes on mighty river on her way. In
parts there is little current but there will be some interesting
passages.

Going through Serbia in the organised tour serves you the trouble of
not knowing whether there any problems with reminders of the armed
conflicts of the recent past ( mines etc. on river banks)

If you want to plan a trip on your own wou should look for contacts
with the organisers of the TID.

Good Luck and Bon Voyage

Helge Tepp