Te Canaille

Default canoe kneeling pads

Hi Graham :

I've made about 10 pads for FreeStyle canoeing, but use them for all types of paddling. I don't glue my pads in for several reasons.
First the can be really good to use for a sleeping pad on camping trips or as a sitting pad on a river bank. Second they can be
removed for cleaning which is easier. Third, glued in pads can be a downer for any future purchaser and are a bear to try to remove.

I also find that while a bit costly and an extra step, covering a closed cell foam pad with neoprene is so much better so as to be
worth the effort. The blue closed cell foam is cheaper, usually is about 3/8th inch thick, and not very smooth. The smoother grey
stuff in a 3/4 inch thickness is much better. Also I don't know where you paddle but in sunny, hot climes the blue stuff can get
very hot.

Whatever you decide, I find a waterproof marine contact cement works best. A brand I favor is "Barge". Hope my experiences help.

John S.

"Graham" wrote in message om...
Well, springtime is upon us and my thoughts are focusing on the open
water. How's everyone else lookin'??

I want to install kneeling pads in my canoe and I'm looking for
advice. The boat material is Kevlar and the pad material that I
already have is Ensolite foam (that blue closed-cell stuff you get in
a roll as a sleeping pad). I'd like to know how to cement the Ensolite
to the Kevlar??

Thanks ahead for any and all advice.

Naturally, Graham