Greg_at_Seneca

Default Hobie Outback

I recently purchased a hobie outback kayak with the pedal drive. I'm
pretty much happy with it, but was suprised at the level of water
coming up around the drive. Its supposed to be rated for 350 lbs, I
weigh 220, and although my butts not gotten wet yet, the waters high
enough that I worry if I rock the boat or accelerate fast that the
water will run back over the hump in front of the seat. Has anyone
else noticed this on their? Is this normal and I'm just being
paranoid? Or do you think there's something wrong with my particular
kayak? I was riding low enough that I pulled it out and check to see
if water was leaking in (inside the rotomolded section, but it was
bone dry). Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Steve Cramer

Greg_at_Seneca wrote:
"just water"?? with that attitude I could just park my ass in an
innertube...looks like you think I wasted $1500 then?

Cool off a little. You got just what you paid for and there's nothing
wrong with your kayak. It is of the nature of sit-on-top kayaks to give
a wet ride. Perhaps you didn't know that at the time, but it's true.
Many of us paddle in places where the water routinely comes over the
bow. We either use sit-in kayaks with skirts or dress for the wet. As
Tall Guy says, it's just water, it won't hurt you. Deal with it.

Steve

"Tall Guy CA" wrote...

It is just water!!!!?

"Greg_at_Seneca" wrote..

--
Steve Cramer
Athens, GA
lcopps

Is there a gasket or seal missing? Perhaps the drive is not seated
correctly or is not fastened firmly. Perhaps some silicone sealant needs
to be applied. I know with my Hobie Catamaran sailboat, the transom must
be sealed with silicon.

Greg_at_Seneca wrote:

I recently purchased a hobie outback kayak with the pedal drive. I'm
pretty much happy with it, but was suprised at the level of water
coming up around the drive. Its supposed to be rated for 350 lbs, I
weigh 220, and although my butts not gotten wet yet, the waters high
enough that I worry if I rock the boat or accelerate fast that the
water will run back over the hump in front of the seat. Has anyone
else noticed this on their? Is this normal and I'm just being
paranoid? Or do you think there's something wrong with my particular
kayak? I was riding low enough that I pulled it out and check to see
if water was leaking in (inside the rotomolded section, but it was
bone dry). Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Tall Guy CA

We have had our Hobie Mirages since 1998. We love them. They are more fun
in the ocean. I enjoy surfing mine and my wife plays with the seals! I also
enjoy the flat lakes in Northern Cali. I no longer use the pedals in the
lake. I have more fun when it is windy, I am going against the wind and
water splashes all over. Hence "it is just water". It is the best fun for
$1500 on the water. There is nothing wrong with having water in a sit on
top. Do not block the hole under the seat. Instead get some paddling pants
to keep dry in cold climate. You may want to purchase the insert for the
mirage drive hole when you are using a paddle. It makes a big difference.
Enjoy your outback and see you on water....

TallGuyCA.
news