Te Canaille

Default Straight or Bent Paddle

Ryan :

Assuming you are canoeing, I'd say the choice depends a lot on your individual style. When paddling solo I prefer a straight
shaft because I do a lot of in water recovery and palm rolls which often changes the power face from one side to the other. A bent
shaft is a dedicated paddle in the sense that the grip hand must maintain the same position in relation to the shaft full time.
Folks who like an out of water recovery and don't mind the dedicated position, the bent shaft can be a good choice.
For tandem paddling I find the bent shaft more efficient, but it works best for me if a bit shorter than the straight shaft used
for solo.
Help this helps.

John

"Ryan Morin" wrote in message om...
I want to buy some new paddles and was looking around and noticed that
there is a type that hasa bent blade.

Just wondering if it is a better way to go for fla****er lake and
river travel.

lcopps

A Bent shaft allows your hands to take a more natural position and
reduce strain on your wrists. However, a strait shaft allows the
paddler to shift hand positions on the shaft. A bent shaft provides
benefits if hands are placed on a specific place. Therefore, it is more
important when selecting a bent shaft paddle to choose proper length
shaft. During a stroke, your dry blade hand should not rise above the
height of your shoulder. Otherwise, shoulder injury can occur. So one
could cite good reasons to choose either. I paddle more with a bent shaft.

Ryan Morin wrote:
I want to buy some new paddles and was looking around and noticed that
there is a type that hasa bent blade.

Just wondering if it is a better way to go for fla****er lake and
river travel.

Te Canaille

"Bart Wallace" wrote in message . ..

Lake users will love bent shaft.
River use...get it straight.
Simple choice.

There's a lot of truth in this statement but it is not universally true. Because of my choice of preferred strokes a straight shaft
is chosen even on lakes. I feel that my paddling style with a straight shaft gains enough efficiency to compensate for lack of the
bent shaft advantage. Many paddlers on lakes, however do prefer the bent shaft. A lot has to do with how one originally learned to
paddle.

John

Canranger44

Bent shafts are designed and find there greatest advantage on the recovery
part of a stroke the angle of the blade allows the paddle to avoid the pull
down effect caused by the angle of a straight paddle at the backend of a
stroke. As the paddle comes to the rear of the stroke the blade angles back
while the handle moves forward in line with the body of the canoe. At this
point the paddle instead of focusing its energy in a forward motion for the
canoe it actually causes a pulling down of the canoe once it passes the
point perpendicular to the paddler. A bent shaft decreases the angle at
which the pulling down effect occurs. With a straight paddle one has the
advantage of adding different levels of effectiveness to the paddling style
through different strokes which may be more difficult to explore with a bent
shaft. Plus if your bow person is bothering you your reach with a bent shaft
is cu short usually of making them. Good luck with your choice of paddles.

--
Abe Elias
Diving Sparrow Paddle Co,
news

Ryan Morin wrote:
I want to buy some new paddles and was looking around and noticed that
there is a type that hasa bent blade.

Just wondering if it is a better way to go for fla****er lake and
river travel.

Canranger44

For the most part it is a matter of preference. If you are going to paddle
marathon style you use a bent shaft but then a gain you wouldn't catch me
paddling Marathon style its not my preference. I paddle straight all the way
but very once and a while I will ask to borrow a bent just to check it out.

--
Abe Elias
Diving Sparrow Paddle Co,
"Te Canaille" wrote in message

"Bart Wallace" wrote in message

. ..

Lake users will love bent shaft.
River use...get it straight.
Simple choice.

There's a lot of truth in this statement but it is not universally true.

Because of my choice of preferred strokes a straight shaft
is chosen even on lakes. I feel that my paddling style with a straight

shaft gains enough efficiency to compensate for lack of the
bent shaft advantage. Many paddlers on lakes, however do prefer the bent

shaft. A lot has to do with how one originally learned to
paddle.

John

Bart Wallace

"Te Canaille" wrote in message

"Bart Wallace" wrote in message

. ..

Lake users will love bent shaft.
River use...get it straight.
Simple choice.

There's a lot of truth in this statement but it is not universally true.

Because of my choice of preferred strokes a straight shaft
is chosen even on lakes. I feel that my paddling style with a straight

shaft gains enough efficiency to compensate for lack of the
bent shaft advantage. Many paddlers on lakes, however do prefer the bent

shaft. A lot has to do with how one originally learned to
paddle.

John

True! Whenever I see an old, heavy beaver tail being manhandled I ask why.
Then I answer myself with why not. If it works, it works.

Eric Johnson

I've used bent shaft sea kayak paddles and they are a little easier on the
wrists over the long hall, but still not as easy as a traditional style
paddle (affectionately known as a twig).

Te Canaille

"Dan Valleskey" wrote in message om...

for me, it boils down to using the materials I like best. Nothing
beats a nice carbon fiber paddle.
But they are all bent shafts. So, now I paddle with a bent shaft.

I've got several straight shaft carbon fiber paddles. They've been around for a long long time.

John