JB

Default 30 hours in a kayak

Hello all...

I'm starting to prepare for a 30 hours trip in a seakayak (prijon touryak),
in low temperature waters, in late december. I wonder what kind of clothes
you would wear for that stupid idea of mine ??

Thanks ....

JB

Michael Daly

On 26-Nov-2003, Melissa wrote:

I would think that a drysuit, with fleece underneath, would be most
comfortable, as neoprene can get really uncomfortable during much
shorter periods than 30 hours.

Absolutely agree, with preference to GoreTex.

However, I'd add an insulation layer under butt and heels as well.
Neoprene or relatively firm foam would be good here, as fleece
isn't the best under your butt. I find it's the butt and heels
that get cold first in cold water.

Mike
Wade Norton

I'd recommend a drysuit with appropriate undergarments. If you're likely to
swim, then by all means layer the undergarments heavier. If you're not
likely to swim, then a light polypropiline(sp) layer and a thin fleece layer
would do.

A warm hat is a must (you loose most of your body temp through your head).
And neoprene gloves are my preference (over poogies), just my preference,
and I'm sure others would feel differently.

Wade

"JB" wrote in message
Hello all...

I'm starting to prepare for a 30 hours trip in a seakayak (prijon

touryak),
in low temperature waters, in late december. I wonder what kind of clothes
you would wear for that stupid idea of mine ??

Thanks ....

JB

lcopps

I don't know if you are going to be offshore or how far. But a drysuit
will not protect you indefinately. They eventualy leak. If you can
afford built in booties, you will eliminate 2 points of failure. If you
are going far away from land, I would also bring an EPIRB.

JB wrote:
Hello all...

I'm starting to prepare for a 30 hours trip in a seakayak (prijon touryak),
in low temperature waters, in late december. I wonder what kind of clothes
you would wear for that stupid idea of mine ??

Thanks ....

JB

Deep Sea Diver

In article , JB wrote:
Hello all...

I'm starting to prepare for a 30 hours trip in a seakayak (prijon touryak),
in low temperature waters, in late december. I wonder what kind of clothes
you would wear for that stupid idea of mine ??

This seems to be the absolute uncontested truth:

http://www.kolumbus.fi/timo.noko/puku/INDEX.HTM

Read it carefully, because as issues are covered.
Not very delicately, I am afraid :-)

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 06:47:38 +0000 (UTC), (Deep Sea
Diver) wrote:

http://www.kolumbus.fi/timo.noko/puku/INDEX.HTM

Read it carefully, because as issues are covered.
Not very delicately, I am afraid :-)

I find Timo to be an inspiration to me. Not that I want to do the
things he does, but it's wonderful that a human can do what he does.
--
rbc: vixen Fairly harmless

Hit reply to email.
Though I'm very slow to respond.