Brian Nystrom

Default Deck Compass Recommendations

Ki Ayker wrote:

The principle advantage of a deck mounted compass a

1) You can easily take readings in any conditions without having to take
your hand(s) off the paddle.
2) You can verify your heading while underway with nothing more than a
downward glance.

I don't have any problem doing these things with a hikers compass sitting on
my sprayskirt. I suppose in really big seas my hikers compass could get washed
aside to where I would have to pause and reposition it. I have never had this
happen, but it certainly could. I'm sure that if this was to become a problem I
could easily rig something to help keep it in place.

That still leaves you with the problem of having to look down at your
lap to navigate. For many people, this can cause nausea or even
full-blown sea sickness. Additionally, if you're looking at your lap,
you're not looking at the water.

Navigating a kayak with a compass is anything but rocket science. Even when
using a well dampened marine compass the needle will be swaying from side to
side as you paddle. In rougher seas it gets even worst!

Not nearly as much as you think. When you have a compass that's within
your line of sight, it's quite easy to maintain a consistent heading,
depite the inevitable swings.

The compass is only
useful for fairly approximate directions. Then you need to try to factor in
wind and currents. That is why most of your texts that deal with kayak
navigation will recommend that you steer to one side or the other of your
target when making a long crossing so you will at least know for certain which
way you need to turn to hit your mark when you reach land. Otherwise you might
not know if you missed your target to the left or to the right and you'd just
have to make your best guess.

Of course; that's simply Navigation 101. However, you still need to be
able to check the compass frequently in order to maintain the desired
heading, unless you have ranges you can use to check your course.

I do admit, however, that a good marine compass looks really cool on the
boat.

I won't even dignify that comment with a response.

--
Regards

Brian

BeachBck9

I do admit, however, that a good marine compass looks really cool on the
boat.

I won't even dignify that comment with a response.

Uh, I think you just did :-)