Graham

Default winter canoe storage

I know it seems early, but I need to start thinking about winter
storage for my new Swift Mattawa (Kevlar) canoe. I'm planning on
suspending it from the rafters in an unheated garage. I understand
that it needs to be supported by the gunnels in the bottom-up
position.

I was thinking of attaching 4 pulleys or ringbolts to the rafters and
pulling the canoe up by ropes, but I can't visualize how the ropes
should be attached to the supporting 2X4's across the gunnels and be
lifted into place by one person.

Has anyone else come up with a design (or something else that works)
and would be willing to share it?

Thanks for any ideas.

Graham
Owen Sound, ON, CAN
John Gann

Sounds like you've already decided that you want 2x4's to support the
gunnels. Assuming that the rafters coincide with the gunnels, or pretty
much so, may I suggest:

Some good, heavy duty screw-eyes into the rafters. Get some cargo
straps, the kind with an "S"-type hook in the end and a cam-lock in the
strap. (These should probably be in the 12'-15' range. Home Depot has
them. You might not always need this much length, but it is good to
have. When lowered all the way, the boat will be at a height that makes
it easy to work on it.) You could even go so far as to attach the
straps to the 2x4's with some u-bolts (just to keep them from sliding
off said 2x4's; don't crank the u-bolts down so tight that the straps
can't move.) Use padding of some sort where you deem necessary.

With the straps in place from the rafters and extended to the max, you
should be able the thread the canoe into the rig. Pull the whole mess
up a bit at a time, one strap at a time, till it's at the desired
height. Might not be elegant, but sure is simple and cheap. (Fast,
simple, cheap - all are desired, but unfortunately, in most cases, we
can only have two of the three.)

I presently have 4 kayaks hanging in my garages using this method (minus
the 2x4's). The boats lower right down to the roof rack, or right off
of it, as the case may be.

Just a suggestion.

--
John Gann /) 83°52'49"W
(865)924-4203 O_/ 35°57'25"N

John Caldeira

John Gann wrote:
Some good, heavy duty screw-eyes into the rafters. Get some cargo
straps, the kind with an "S"-type hook in the end and a cam-lock in the
strap.

That's similar to my set-up:

http://www.outdoorplace.org/images/Garage1.jpg

John

John Caldeira
Dallas, Texas, USA
http://www.outdoorplace.org/
Gary S.

On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 02:03:00 GMT, John Caldeira
wrote:

John Gann wrote:
Some good, heavy duty screw-eyes into the rafters. Get some cargo
straps, the kind with an "S"-type hook in the end and a cam-lock in the
strap.

That's similar to my set-up:

http://www.outdoorplace.org/images/Garage1.jpg

John

Also, check what paddling shops do, as they often suspend boats from
the ceiling. They do tend to use a lot of climbing hardware which
could be excessive for the job.

Looks like boats won out over cars in John C's garage, including the
work in progress below.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA