Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
John R Weiss

Default Kayak help please

"Chris" wrote...

I am in the market for a Kayak and this is proving to be a nearly impossible
decision.

I have a Honda Civic so I have been looking at inflatable kayaks because I

dont
see how I could get a rigid one in/on my car.

I will be doing most of my kayaking on Long Island Sound which is a local
estuary off the Atlantic Ocean. Water conditions can range from nearly flat

2-4ft waves.
I cannot spend more than $500 on a kayak and I want a single person boat.

I doubt you will find a seaworthy new kayak for Long Island Sound conditions for
$500.

You don't necessarily need an inflatable, because you can carry a kayak on top
of any car you can get a roof rack on. The weight (generally less than 60#, and
often 45# or less) is not a problem; you just have to tie it down somewhere. In
fact, if you're just going at surface-street speeds for short distances, you
could get away with a pair of foam cradles right on the roof!

You should also consider building a kayak from a kit. Pygmy Boats and
Chesapeake Light Craft have kits for a bit over $500 that are VERY complete, and
designed for novice builders.