posted to alt.sailing.tall-ships
CJB CJB is offline

Default Tall Ship Yards and Sails

In Russel Museum in the Bay of Islands, New Zealand, is a fine model
of a tall ship in full sail - squares and fore & aft all set. I think
that it was made by the ex-captain. Out of the four masts, the three
forward masts each had SEVEN yards. What are the yards called? I have
1/ course, 2/ lower topsail, 3/ upper topsail, 4/ royal, 5/
t'gallant, .... but what were nos. 6 and 7? Fair winds - Chris B.

On 2008-07-01 01:36:45 -0700, CJB said:

In Russel Museum in the Bay of Islands, New Zealand, is a fine model
of a tall ship in full sail - squares and fore & aft all set. I think
that it was made by the ex-captain. Out of the four masts, the three
forward masts each had SEVEN yards. What are the yards called? I have
1/ course, 2/ lower topsail, 3/ upper topsail, 4/ royal, 5/
t'gallant, .... but what were nos. 6 and 7? Fair winds - Chris B.

The t'gallant (which is below the royal, not above) can be split, too.
So one possibility is course, lower and upper topsail, lower and upper
topgallant, royal and skysail. Or you could have a single t'gallant and
a moonsail over the skysail--but Wikipedia claims that none of the
four-masted ships carried moonsails.

On 2008-07-01 01:36:45 -0700, CJB said:

In Russel Museum in the Bay of Islands, New Zealand, is a fine model
of a tall ship in full sail - squares and fore & aft all set. I think
that it was made by the ex-captain. Out of the four masts, the three
forward masts each had SEVEN yards. What are the yards called? I have
1/ course, 2/ lower topsail, 3/ upper topsail, 4/ royal, 5/
t'gallant, .... but what were nos. 6 and 7? Fair winds - Chris B.

The t'gallant (which is below the royal, not above) can be split, too.
So one possibility is course, lower and upper topsail, lower and upper
topgallant, royal and skysail. Or you could have a single t'gallant and
a moonsail over the skysail--but Wikipedia claims that none of the
four-masted ships carried moonsails.

Thank you for that reply. I have heard about moonsails!!

Actually the ship is the Pruth - three masted, seven yards each mast,
full-rigged. I have Googled the name but there is nothing on the web
except two short possible references. Even the various sailing ship
databases have not listed her. I wonder if there is anything in
Lubbock about her?

Her captain might have been: Captain Edwin Hoffman Blomfield

She wasn't one of the German Flying 'P' ships though.

Chris B.

======================

Notices regarding company shares appeared in the British Daily
Colonist throughout 1861. Shares had apparently been bought on credit
and the company directors were now calling in the debts. It was during
this period that the gasworks were ordered from Scotland, to be
shipped around Cape Horn aboard three sailing ships, the Pruth, the
Salamander, and the Prince of the Seas.

http://web.uvic.ca/vv/student/vicgas.../narrative.htm

But plans - and rehearsals for the 'op' - went ahead. The rusting hulk
of the 'Pruth', aground on a reef in Moresby Harbour since the 1920's,
was used for target practice. While B-25s improved 'skip bombing'
tactics against its hull, the 'Beaus' of 30 Squadron went in low and
hard with cannons and machine guns.

http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/content/2003/hc13.htm