posted to alt.sailing.tall-ships
Truman Smith

Default where is/was Mirimuchi?

It appears to have been a commerial shipping port in the late 1800's.
Specifically I'm researching a cargo ship voyage in 1893 from Miriuchi to
Clyde (Port Clyde, Maine, USA?) passing by the North Ireland coast with
timber lathes as cargo.

Today's Internet search engines don't find anything. (Apparently, there are
limits to Google and its siblings.)

Are there other newsgroups or website that might be familar with old city
names?

Thanks,
Truman Smith

posted to alt.sailing.tall-ships
Pete Verdon

Truman Smith wrote:
It appears to have been a commerial shipping port in the late 1800's.
Specifically I'm researching a cargo ship voyage in 1893 from Miriuchi to
Clyde (Port Clyde, Maine, USA?) passing by the North Ireland coast with
timber lathes as cargo.

Going purely by the sound, I'd say it was somewhere in the Far East. The
name sounds faintly Japanese to me, but wasn't Indonesia a big timber
place in that era? As for the Clyde, unless you have more context to
indicate otherwise, I'd assume it refers to the one in Scotland, which
used to be a major shipping and ship-building area and would have been
one of the biggest ports in the world at that time (height of the
British Empire, don'tchaknow :-) ). The coast of Ireland isn't really
on the way to the US from anywhere except the British Isles, Germany and
Scandinavia/the Baltic, none of which is likely to have a port called
Miriuchi.

Pete
posted to alt.sailing.tall-ships
Bert Olton

Truman Smith wrote:
It appears to have been a commerial shipping port in the late 1800's.
Specifically I'm researching a cargo ship voyage in 1893 from Miriuchi to
Clyde (Port Clyde, Maine, USA?) passing by the North Ireland coast with
timber lathes as cargo.

Today's Internet search engines don't find anything. (Apparently, there are
limits to Google and its siblings.)

Are there other newsgroups or website that might be familar with old city
names?

Truman,

It looks to me like there may be a miss spelling involved. There is a
city in New Brunswick, Canada named Miramichi, which, with a load of
timber lathes, would make sense. I also suspect the destination may
have been Clyde in Britain - thus the Irish Coast.

Bert
--
To all who have served or are serving the cause of freedom, from
whatever country, whether in peace or in war, at home or abroad, thank you.

"Let's roll!" Todd Beamer, Flight 93, September 11, 2001.

Bert Olton wrote:
Truman Smith wrote:

It appears to have been a commerial shipping port in the late 1800's.
Specifically I'm researching a cargo ship voyage in 1893 from Miriuchi to
Clyde (Port Clyde, Maine, USA?) passing by the North Ireland coast with
timber lathes as cargo.

It looks to me like there may be a miss spelling involved. There is a
city in New Brunswick, Canada named Miramichi, which, with a load of
timber lathes, would make sense.

Are we talking about "timber laths" - thin strips of wood - or "timber
lathes" - machine tools? I'd assumed the former, hence the suggestion of
Indonesia in my previous post, but if the ship was carrying tools it's
highly unlikely to have come from the far east and Bert may well be
right. (He may well be right if it's timber too, of course!)

Pete
posted to alt.sailing.tall-ships
Truman Smith

Unfortunately my information comes from a website and not original
documents. I'm begining think to the route was from Canada to River Clyde
in Scotland.

Thanks for the replies, everyone.
-Truman

"Pete Verdon" d wrote in
message ...
Bert Olton wrote:
Truman Smith wrote:

It appears to have been a commerial shipping port in the late 1800's.
Specifically I'm researching a cargo ship voyage in 1893 from Miriuchi
Clyde (Port Clyde, Maine, USA?) passing by the North Ireland coast with
timber lathes as cargo.

It looks to me like there may be a miss spelling involved. There is a
city in New Brunswick, Canada named Miramichi, which, with a load of
timber lathes, would make sense.

Are we talking about "timber laths" - thin strips of wood - or "timber
lathes" - machine tools? I'd assumed the former, hence the suggestion of
Indonesia in my previous post, but if the ship was carrying tools it's
highly unlikely to have come from the far east and Bert may well be right.
(He may well be right if it's timber too, of course!)

Pete

posted to alt.sailing.tall-ships
Duncan

ink.net...

Bert Olton wrote:
Truman Smith wrote:

It appears to have been a commerial shipping port in the late 1800's.
Specifically I'm researching a cargo ship voyage in 1893 from Miriuchi
Clyde (Port Clyde, Maine, USA?) passing by the North Ireland coast

with
timber lathes as cargo.

It looks to me like there may be a miss spelling involved. There is a
city in New Brunswick, Canada named Miramichi, which, with a load of
timber lathes, would make sense.

Are we talking about "timber laths" - thin strips of wood - or "timber
lathes" - machine tools? I'd assumed the former, hence the suggestion of
Indonesia in my previous post, but if the ship was carrying tools it's
highly unlikely to have come from the far east and Bert may well be

right.
(He may well be right if it's timber too, of course!)

Pete

The most likely explanation to me would be a cargo of timber laths from
Canada to the River Clyde in Scotland. There were massive timberyards at
Whiteinch in Glasgow, for example. I'd be a bit surprised if the Scots were
importing lathes, as they led the world in machine engineering.

I have an old British nautical almanac from about 1895, so if you want more
details for a particular port of things like harbour dues, dock facilities,
navigation marks etc I might be able to help.

Duncan