Default My new book: "Haul Away! Teambuilding Lessons from a Tall Ship voyage Around Cape Horn

Hi everyone,

I thought you might be interested in my new book "Haul Away!
Teambuilding Lessons from a Voyage Around Cape Horn". I wrote the book
after sailing as a deckhand on the Europa from San Diego to the
Falklands via Easter Island and Cape Horn a couple of years ago.

I wrote the book because I was fascinated by the way that the crew - 24
strangers - became a great team, and ultimately even learned to like
one another!

The book might make a good gift for anyone who works with teams
(business or other teams) or anyone who likes a personal sailing yarn.
If you know somemone who dreams of a great personal quest, I think the
book will help inspire them along.

You can learn more (or buy it) at
http://www.authorhouse.com/BookStore...kid~28629.aspx as
well as at Amazon and other booksellers. I hope you enjoy it!

Very best regards, Rob

CJB

Sounds great. Europa is a favourite ship of ours too!! What did you
learn about people during the voyage? How did you work with the
'nothing you must do, but everything you may do'? Chris B.

wrote:
Hi everyone,

I thought you might be interested in my new book "Haul Away!
Teambuilding Lessons from a Voyage Around Cape Horn". I wrote the book
after sailing as a deckhand on the Europa from San Diego to the
Falklands via Easter Island and Cape Horn a couple of years ago.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your post. One of the things I learned was that it takes
different kinds of "strength" to get through a 75 day voyage where
there is no escape. One is physical, but I think it is the least
important. I think you have to have reserves of emotional and social
strength as well. There were many more physically able people on the
vessel than me, but I was still one of the few to stand every single
watch I was scheduled for. I credit being able to stay fairly patient,
and to walk away from confrontations before they happen as keys to my
own success. Probably some of that comes from being a college teacher,
where I (eventually) learned not to react so quickly to everything that
is said & done.

We were only 6 "voyage crew" when the ship left San Diego, and we held
a bit of a summit meeting early on in which we all decided to scrap the
"nothing you must" rule, and we asked to be treated identically to the
professional crew. After a while, there was no real difference between
any of us.

Thanks for the great questions. I hope you enjoy the book if you get
it. All the best, Rob
PS. Have you done tall ship voyages yourself? If not, are you tempted
to?