Brian Louisos

Default sail orientation question

Hi, I'm a complete newcomer to anything sailing related, maybe someone
can answer my question. On a large ship, say an 17-18th century 3
masted marine vessel, I've seen in pictures and movies, that the sails
will rotate relative to the ship to face the wind at the desired
angle. My question is what causes this rotation. I first thought that
it happened naturally, but no, there has to be a way to control it.
Are the entire masts themselves rotated? perhaps just the cross-beams
(sorry I don't know the proper term) are re-angled? Is their a typical
arrangement or do they vary? is this done with ropes, or maybe levers?
thanks for any help.
-bl
Bert Dubbelman

See these url's:
http://www.infa.abo.fi/~fredrik/sshi...e-rigging.html
http://www.schoonerman.com/ame-ves.html

Brian Louisos wrote:
Hi, I'm a complete newcomer to anything sailing related, maybe someone
can answer my question. On a large ship, say an 17-18th century 3
masted marine vessel, I've seen in pictures and movies, that the sails
will rotate relative to the ship to face the wind at the desired
angle. My question is what causes this rotation. I first thought that
it happened naturally, but no, there has to be a way to control it.
Are the entire masts themselves rotated? perhaps just the cross-beams
(sorry I don't know the proper term) are re-angled? Is their a typical
arrangement or do they vary? is this done with ropes, or maybe levers?
thanks for any help.
-bl

Duncan

"Brian Louisos" wrote in message
om...
Hi, I'm a complete newcomer to anything sailing related, maybe someone
can answer my question. On a large ship, say an 17-18th century 3
masted marine vessel, I've seen in pictures and movies, that the sails
will rotate relative to the ship to face the wind at the desired
angle. My question is what causes this rotation. I first thought that
it happened naturally, but no, there has to be a way to control it.
Are the entire masts themselves rotated? perhaps just the cross-beams
(sorry I don't know the proper term) are re-angled? Is their a typical
arrangement or do they vary? is this done with ropes, or maybe levers?
thanks for any help.
-bl

Go sailing yourself and find out - No experience necessary! www.jst.org.uk

The process is described as "bracing the yards". The cross-beams to which
the sails are attached are the "yards" and each has a rope known as a
"brace" attached to each end. These come down to the deck (via various
pulley blocks) and the ship's crew haul them tight on one side whilst paying
them out under control on the other. Marks on the brace being paid out tell
the crew when they have gone far enough. There's a certain amount of
practice required to get all the yards moving together by the same amount.
If you are lucky, you get to haul the brace of the smallest, highest yard
(the Royal). The Course yard (bottom one) is damned hard work. The yards
pivot about the mast (and can also, usually, be raised and lowered) - the
mast itself can not rotate as it has fixed ropes (stays and shrouds) holding
it upright.

Duncan

Brian Louisos

Thanks alot, information is appreciated. I believe my questions have been answered.
Chris Brady

What causes this rotation? Damned muscle power, ropes, blocks and sea
shanties!!

Then in the late 1800s / early 1900s Jarvis invented the 'Jarvis
winch' - some ships still have working ones - Kruzenshern (ex-Padua
1926), and Stad Amsterdam (2000) are two ships that spring to mind.
This machine allows all 5 or 6 yards on a mast to be pulled round
together - and using the mechanical advantage of 5 or 6 conical drums
geared together to which the braces are wound makes the job easier.

The yards are not brought round so that the wind is directly behind
because then the sails in front would not gain any power from the wind
- being in the shadow of the sails on the upwind mast so to speak. The
idea is to have the wind coming in from an angle so that it hits all
of the sails.

Once the yards are braced they are not exactly in line. They are
slightly off-set in a sprial arrangement whoch apparently draws more
power from the wind.

Hope this helps a little.

CJB

SAILING GROUNDS Capt. Mooron ASA 135 July 4th 04 05:52 PM
The future of yacht design - myth number 2. Frank ASA 2 June 28th 04 03:40 PM
Question on custom sail makers Norman McDonnell Boat Building 4 May 27th 04 05:08 AM
What sail for a 12 ft. skiff? EZ Boat Building 4 March 26th 04 12:20 AM
Sail trim question ;) Gerard Weatherby ASA 7 July 30th 03 06:14 PM