Default Eagle 02

Complements of HF

LdB

Attached Thumbnails
Eagle 02-eagle.jpg

L D'Bonnie added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

Attachment decoded: Eagle.jpg

Got any of the Eagle in larger sizes, L D? Thanks.

--
HP, aka Jerry

"If the enemy of my enemy is my friend, it must follow that the enemy of
my friend is my enemy" - variant of Middle East Maxim

Let me see what I can find in larger sizes.

HF

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 03:25:12 GMT, "HEMI-Powered" wrote:

L D'Bonnie added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

Attachment decoded: Eagle.jpg

Got any of the Eagle in larger sizes, L D? Thanks.

HiFlyer added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

Let me see what I can find in larger sizes.

Thank you. This ship has long been used to train Coast Guard officer
candidate midshipmen in the art of seamanship. I have a few of her but
not as nice as yours.

Attachment decoded: Eagle.jpg

Got any of the Eagle in larger sizes, L D? Thanks.

--
HP, aka Jerry

"If the enemy of my enemy is my friend, it must follow that the enemy of
my friend is my enemy" - variant of Middle East Maxim

Default Eagle 02 (0/1)

The "Horst Wessel" was built in Germany in 1936 and was taken as a war
prize by the USA. It came to the Coast Guard Academy as the Coast
Guard Cutter (Barque) Eagle, WIX-327, in 1946.

During WWII, the full riggged ship Danmark sought political asylum
from Nazi Germany in the USA and volunteered to be the USCG Training
Ship. The experience was so successful, that the USCG sought its own
tall ship at the end of the war.

Two other barques were taken in 1946. The "Gorch Fock" and "Albert
Leo Schlageter" were given to the USSR and Brazil. The "ALS" migrated
to Portugal as "Sagres" and the Gorch Fock became "Tovaritch II".

The current "Gorch Folk II" is a (1960s) close replica of the
original.

These are descriptions from the Cutty Sark Webpage:

Recognisable with red crosses on her sails, the Portuguese three
masted barque SAGRES II was launched in 1937 for the Reichsmarine as
Albert Leo Schlageter, sister-ship of Tovaritch II and Eagle: on
89,50 m long overall, 243 crew including 80 trainees work on her 1935
sq. m of sail.

TOVARITCH II is a three masted barque of 82,10 m overall, built in
1933 in Hamburg under Gorch Fock name, fitted for 246 crew ; Odessa is
now her port of registry.

DANMARK , a three masted barque is launched in 1932 ; refugee in
United States in 1939, she allows to train about 5000 cadets before
coming back to Copenhagen. She welcomes today 80 cadets on board.

Eagle web pag is:

http://www.cga.edu/display.aspx?id=2558

HF

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 10:33:22 GMT, "HEMI-Powered" wrote:

HiFlyer added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

Let me see what I can find in larger sizes.

Thank you. This ship has long been used to train Coast Guard officer
candidate midshipmen in the art of seamanship. I have a few of her but
not as nice as yours.

Attachment decoded: Eagle.jpg

Got any of the Eagle in larger sizes, L D? Thanks.

Default Eagle 02 (1/1)

Attached Thumbnails
Eagle 02-dk_tall_ships_sagres_ii_lyr_1937.jpg  Eagle 02-dk_tall_ships_tovarishch_lyr_1933.jpg

"HiFlyer" schreef in bericht
[...]

Very interesting, thanks.
--
Greetings
Bouler (The Netherlands)

Just to keep you out of "serious trouble", the Navy has midshipmen,
the Coast Guard has "Cadets" and "OCs". smile

HF

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 10:33:22 GMT, "HEMI-Powered" wrote:

HiFlyer added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

Let me see what I can find in larger sizes.

Thank you. This ship has long been used to train Coast Guard officer
candidate midshipmen in the art of seamanship. I have a few of her but
not as nice as yours.

Attachment decoded: Eagle.jpg

Got any of the Eagle in larger sizes, L D? Thanks.

[IMG] code is On

Eagle 40 Experience Michael Boyd Cruising 1 May 21st 10 04:58 PM
Eagle 01 L D'Bonnie Tall Ship Photos 0 April 20th 08 01:56 AM
Eagle vg 200 questions [email protected] Boat Building 0 May 30th 06 02:40 AM
Sea Eagle Ron Waxman General 2 November 24th 03 11:37 PM