BoatBanter.com

-   Tall Ship Photos (https://www.boatbanter.com/tall-ship-photos/)
-   -   River Ice Breaking 01 (https://www.boatbanter.com/tall-ship-photos/93700-river-ice-breaking-01-a.html)

L D'Bonnie April 12th 08 08:03 PM

River Ice Breaking 01

1 Attachment(s)
On the Red River in Manitoba. During the spring break up ice will
occasionally jamb up and dam the river, flooding the surrounding area.
The Amphibex machine breaks up the ice so that it will move down stream
without piling up. The link is to the Amphibex web site

http://www.normrock.ca/1/The_Amphibex/The_Amphibex

LdB

HEMI-Powered April 12th 08 09:20 PM

River Ice Breaking 01

L D'Bonnie added these comments in the current discussion du jour

On the Red River in Manitoba. During the spring break up ice
will occasionally jamb up and dam the river, flooding the
surrounding area. The Amphibex machine breaks up the ice so that
it will move down stream without piling up. The link is to the
Amphibex web site

http://www.normrock.ca/1/The_Amphibex/The_Amphibex

Now, THIS is a "tall-ship"! grin

--
HP, aka Jerry

"That's all I have to say about that" - Forrest Gump

Paul McGrane April 12th 08 11:02 PM

River Ice Breaking 01

Interesting set of photos!

Paul

L D'Bonnie April 13th 08 03:46 AM

River Ice Breaking 01

HEMI-Powered wrote:
L D'Bonnie added these comments in the current discussion du jour

On the Red River in Manitoba. During the spring break up ice
will occasionally jamb up and dam the river, flooding the
surrounding area. The Amphibex machine breaks up the ice so that
it will move down stream without piling up. The link is to the
Amphibex web site

http://www.normrock.ca/1/The_Amphibex/The_Amphibex

Now, THIS is a "tall-ship"! grin

Perhaps a renaming of the group is in order. Something like

alt.binaries.pictures.tall.short.long.lean-ships-boats-things.that.float.or.not.and.kids.on.cannons:)

LdB

HEMI-Powered April 13th 08 05:06 AM

River Ice Breaking 01

L D'Bonnie added these comments in the current discussion du jour

On the Red River in Manitoba. During the spring break up ice
will occasionally jamb up and dam the river, flooding the
surrounding area. The Amphibex machine breaks up the ice so
that it will move down stream without piling up. The link is
to the Amphibex web site

http://www.normrock.ca/1/The_Amphibex/The_Amphibex

Now, THIS is a "tall-ship"! grin

Perhaps a renaming of the group is in order. Something like

alt.binaries.pictures.tall.short.long.lean-ships-boats-things.tha
t.float.or.not.and.kids.on.cannons:)

Nah! I like it just fine, but note the "grin" after my comment as
I really did think the "ship" was pretty damn interesting, I've
certainly never seen anything like it before, so I downloaded it
for my slide show screen saver. Yes, I see the smiley face after
your comment so I imagine you're also kidding in a way.

Vlad April 13th 08 12:52 PM

River Ice Breaking 01

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 14:03:53 -0500, L D'Bonnie wrote
(in article ):

On the Red River in Manitoba. During the spring break up ice will
occasionally jamb up and dam the river, flooding the surrounding area.
The Amphibex machine breaks up the ice so that it will move down stream
without piling up. The link is to the Amphibex web site

http://www.normrock.ca/1/The_Amphibex/The_Amphibex

LdB

What an incredible contraption! If you go to the Web site, click Videos and
then watch the "Glace" video. Interesting!

-Vlad

--

Vlad & Genny Kedrovsky
Edina, Minnesota, USA

joevan[_2_] April 13th 08 04:35 PM

River Ice Breaking 01

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 06:52:48 -0500, Vlad wrote:

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 14:03:53 -0500, L D'Bonnie wrote
(in article ):

On the Red River in Manitoba. During the spring break up ice will
occasionally jamb up and dam the river, flooding the surrounding area.
The Amphibex machine breaks up the ice so that it will move down stream
without piling up. The link is to the Amphibex web site

http://www.normrock.ca/1/The_Amphibex/The_Amphibex

LdB

What an incredible contraption! If you go to the Web site, click Videos and
then watch the "Glace" video. Interesting!

-Vlad

That is an interesting thang.

L D'Bonnie April 13th 08 08:12 PM

River Ice Breaking 01

1 Attachment(s)
HEMI-Powered wrote:
[...]

You imagined correctly. There have been many posts to the group that
"stretch" things a tad. I plead guilty to a few of them myself.

Unusual photos provide interesting fill between the rare tall ship
posts. I have saved a few of your "nearly on topic" posts.

Just so you don't have to imagine this time, I believe this image
will clarify things.

LdB

HEMI-Powered April 13th 08 09:07 PM

River Ice Breaking 01

[...]

Before I started posting, I asked about the apparent broad meaning
of "tall-ships" to include about anything that floats. Bouler,
among others, commented pretty much as you did, namely that so long
as it is a ship or a boat, it is acceptable. And, there appears not
to be a FAQ document, so I've restricted my posts to approximately
the categories of boats & ships I saw here, although I, too, have
stretched the definition as well but nobody seems to be complaining
so why make a fuss when there is any, right?!

Bouler April 13th 08 10:56 PM

River Ice Breaking 01

"L D'Bonnie" schreef in bericht
m...
On the Red River in Manitoba. During the spring break up ice will
occasionally jamb up and dam the river, flooding the surrounding area.
The Amphibex machine breaks up the ice so that it will move down stream
without piling up. The link is to the Amphibex web site

http://www.normrock.ca/1/The_Amphibex/The_Amphibex

What a great invention, seeïng the video's on the page its simply great.
I never saw a ship like this, thats the interesting thing of this newsgroup.

Starting years ago with Tallships, we ran out of pictures from, Tallships.
Then the regulars decided to accept any ship because we are all lovers of
the sea.
Even lighthouses are allowed, even a wooden shoe with a sail.
That keeps this NG alive.
If we only accepted tallships this group would be dead by now.
--
Greetings
Bouler (The Netherlands)

joevan[_2_] April 13th 08 11:17 PM

River Ice Breaking 01

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 23:56:45 +0200, "Bouler"
wrote:

"L D'Bonnie" schreef in bericht
om...
On the Red River in Manitoba. During the spring break up ice will
occasionally jamb up and dam the river, flooding the surrounding area.
The Amphibex machine breaks up the ice so that it will move down stream
without piling up. The link is to the Amphibex web site

http://www.normrock.ca/1/The_Amphibex/The_Amphibex

What a great invention, seeïng the video's on the page its simply great.
I never saw a ship like this, thats the interesting thing of this newsgroup.

Starting years ago with Tallships, we ran out of pictures from, Tallships.
Then the regulars decided to accept any ship because we are all lovers of
the sea.
Even lighthouses are allowed, even a wooden shoe with a sail.
That keeps this NG alive.
If we only accepted tallships this group would be dead by now.

What Bouler said. I approve.

HEMI-Powered April 13th 08 11:50 PM

River Ice Breaking 01

Bouler added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

[...]

Then, crazy people like me came along and started posting "short
ships" and kids sitting on battleship guns and the like! grin
But, as a late-comer, I think the group collectively made a good
decision to broaden the charter of this NG else the number of posts
would be quite small. I'm very happy to be a novice member and I
really like the people here. Plus, I've found a number of very good
pictures to add to my non-car collection so it's a win-win for me.

HEMI-Powered April 13th 08 11:54 PM

River Ice Breaking 01

joevan added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

[snip]
Starting years ago with Tallships, we ran out of pictures from,
Tallships. Then the regulars decided to accept any ship because
we are all lovers of the sea.
Even lighthouses are allowed, even a wooden shoe with a sail.
That keeps this NG alive.
If we only accepted tallships this group would be dead by now.

What Bouler said. I approve.

jevan, I hardly want to inject some sillyness about formalizing the
activities of this NG with a set of rules/FAQs unless there is
broad support for such a thing. But, do you, Bouler, anyone think
that at least an INFORMAL document should be put together? I'm also
not trying to create work for anyone, I certainly don't have the
time to take this on. Perhaps it is a moot question since everyone
seems to get along quite well with no FAQs or even posting
guidelines and I've not seen any flame wars as far back as my NSP
has posts so there must be pretty universal agreement with what is
being posted and folks must either like it or are at least neutral.

So, what do you and the others think might/should be done, if
anything? What brought this up is the ice-breaking "ship" which I
personally found extremely interesting as I've never seen such a
beast nor ever even thought about why it might be necessary, so I
say - bring 'em on!

Bouler April 14th 08 01:29 AM

River Ice Breaking 01

"HEMI-Powered" schreef in bericht

Starting years ago with Tallships, we ran out of pictures from,
Tallships. Then the regulars decided to accept any ship because
we are all lovers of the sea.
Even lighthouses are allowed, even a wooden shoe with a sail.
That keeps this NG alive.
If we only accepted tallships this group would be dead by now.

Then, crazy people like me came along and started posting "short
ships" and kids sitting on battleship guns and the like! grin
But, as a late-comer, I think the group collectively made a good
decision to broaden the charter of this NG else the number of posts
would be quite small. I'm very happy to be a novice member and I
really like the people here. Plus, I've found a number of very good
pictures to add to my non-car collection so it's a win-win for me.

Keep it that way;-)
--
Greetings
Bouler (The Netherlands)

Bouler April 14th 08 01:44 AM

River Ice Breaking 01

[...]

Its Joevan Jerry, Joevan and I know each other for years and have
e-mailcontacs now and than.
I think this club of friends does not use a faq or other rules, there are
already to many rules in the wold that stops creativity and freedom.
Some rules are OK, but a lot of rules made by Governements make people like
robots, they don't think anymore but just follow a leader and thats
dangerous.
Oops I was serious;-)
--
Greetings
Bouler (The Netherlands)

L D'Bonnie April 14th 08 02:46 AM

River Ice Breaking 01

HEMI-Powered wrote:
[...]

We are all familiar with the term rules are made to be broken.

There is no trouble until the rules get broken. This is the most
laid back newsgroup I have seen in over twenty years of usernet.
My advice is, If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

By the way there are many unusual craft on or near the water
Cranes, Dredges, Platforms etc. For example:

http://www.boeing.com/special/sea-launch/

I wouldn't mind seeing photos of these. Not much chance of that
thing floating down the Red River in January. :) Seems like a few
others here have quite an active curiosity as well.

LdB

HEMI-Powered April 14th 08 04:16 AM

River Ice Breaking 01

[...]

Yes, I made a typo, Bouler. My apologies to jOevan.

I think this club of friends does not use a faq or other rules,
there are already to many rules in the wold that stops
creativity and freedom. Some rules are OK, but a lot of rules
made by Governements make people like robots, they don't think
anymore but just follow a leader and thats dangerous.
Oops I was serious;-)

Fine by me. I just wanted to bring the subject up for a mild
discussion. One of my old bosses used to say "no decision is in
itself a decision", a quote from my "Famous Quotes" document, and I
believe that is how this group wants to deal with it.

Bouler April 14th 08 05:09 AM

River Ice Breaking 01

"HEMI-Powered" schreef in bericht

Its Joevan Jerry, Joevan and I know each other for years and
have e-mailcontacs now and than.

Yes, I made a typo, Bouler. My apologies to jOevan.

I think this club of friends does not use a faq or other rules,
there are already to many rules in the wold that stops
creativity and freedom. Some rules are OK, but a lot of rules
made by Governements make people like robots, they don't think
anymore but just follow a leader and thats dangerous.
Oops I was serious;-)

Fine by me. I just wanted to bring the subject up for a mild
discussion. One of my old bosses used to say "no decision is in
itself a decision", a quote from my "Famous Quotes" document, and I
believe that is how this group wants to deal with it.

Well I cannot speak for the whole group, but I'm hanging around here for 8
years and seldom trouble in this group.
--
Greetings
Bouler (The Netherlands)

HEMI-Powered April 14th 08 08:34 AM

River Ice Breaking 01

[...]

In my brief visits to this NG at your suggestion, I have found it
to be one of the friendliest of all the Usenet NGs I have ever
visited along with a.b.p.wallpaper and wallpaper.duplicates. I said
when I initially started to post that I did not want to be any sort
of disruptive influence and I believe I have kept to that promise.
So, as to formalizing this NG, let's just let it drop. The entire
discussion got started, I think, by my off-hand joking comment that
the ice-breaking machine in this series was a "tall-ship" I could
identify with. Perhaps I shouldn't have said that at all.
Hopefully, no harm was done and we can all go back to just enjoying
the pictures of whatever people desire to share with us.

Bouler April 14th 08 11:46 PM

River Ice Breaking 01

"HEMI-Powered" schreef in bericht

Well I cannot speak for the whole group, but I'm hanging around
here for 8 years and seldom trouble in this group.

In my brief visits to this NG at your suggestion, I have found it
to be one of the friendliest of all the Usenet NGs I have ever
visited along with a.b.p.wallpaper and wallpaper.duplicates. I said
when I initially started to post that I did not want to be any sort
of disruptive influence and I believe I have kept to that promise.
So, as to formalizing this NG, let's just let it drop. The entire
discussion got started, I think, by my off-hand joking comment that
the ice-breaking machine in this series was a "tall-ship" I could
identify with. Perhaps I shouldn't have said that at all.
Hopefully, no harm was done and we can all go back to just enjoying
the pictures of whatever people desire to share with us.

I know it, sometimes I'm to serious;-)
--
Greetings
Bouler (The Netherlands)

joevan[_2_] April 15th 08 12:34 AM

River Ice Breaking 01

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 00:46:13 +0200, "Bouler"
wrote:

"HEMI-Powered" schreef in bericht
.. .

Well I cannot speak for the whole group, but I'm hanging around
here for 8 years and seldom trouble in this group.

In my brief visits to this NG at your suggestion, I have found it
to be one of the friendliest of all the Usenet NGs I have ever
visited along with a.b.p.wallpaper and wallpaper.duplicates. I said
when I initially started to post that I did not want to be any sort
of disruptive influence and I believe I have kept to that promise.
So, as to formalizing this NG, let's just let it drop. The entire
discussion got started, I think, by my off-hand joking comment that
the ice-breaking machine in this series was a "tall-ship" I could
identify with. Perhaps I shouldn't have said that at all.
Hopefully, no harm was done and we can all go back to just enjoying
the pictures of whatever people desire to share with us.

I know it, sometimes I'm to serious;-)

Do you mean that you are sometimes "too" serious, or "also" serious?
:o)

Bouler April 15th 08 01:51 AM

River Ice Breaking 01

"joevan" schreef in bericht

Hopefully, no harm was done and we can all go back to just enjoying
the pictures of whatever people desire to share with us.

I know it, sometimes I'm to serious;-)

Do you mean that you are sometimes "too" serious, or "also" serious?
:o)

LOL, maybe you know me better than I do;-)
--
Greetings
Bouler (The Netherlands)