Default Usenet downloads: Pearl Harbor 15.jpg 54736 bytes

None of these are mine. They were downloaded mainly from several
NGs. My apologies to the OPs but I did not record their names.

--
HP, aka Jerry

"And, that's all I'm going to say about that" - Forrest Gump

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pearl Harbor 15.jpg (53.5 KB, 32 views)

In article ,
wrote:

None of these are mine. They were downloaded mainly from several
NGs. My apologies to the OPs but I did not record their names.

begin 644 Pearl Harbor 15.jpg
[Image]

end

The two destroyers forward in the slip are Cassin and Downes

Tony Nazar added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

begin 644 Pearl Harbor 15.jpg

The two destroyers forward in the slip are Cassin and Downes

Thanks muchly, Tony! I'll add that to my file name. As you'd imagine,
these are generally all named as found mainly from a.b.p.military.

--
HP, aka Jerry

"You've obviously mistaken me for someone who gives a ****!"

Tony Nazar added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

begin 644 Pearl Harbor 15.jpg

The two destroyers forward in the slip are Cassin and Downes

Sorry for the smart-ass sig in the reply I just made to you. It is
reserved for the trolls in another NG. Thanks again for pointing out
the names of these two ships.

--
HP, aka Jerry

"And, that's all I'm going to say about that" - Forrest Gump

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 09:48:33 -0500, "HEMI-Powered"
wrote:

Tony Nazar added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

begin 644 Pearl Harbor 15.jpg

The two destroyers forward in the slip are Cassin and Downes

Sorry for the smart-ass sig in the reply I just made to you. It is
reserved for the trolls in another NG. Thanks again for pointing out
the names of these two ships.

These are interesting. Thanks. Now I have a HWMI-Powered, Jerry file
too.

joevan added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

begin 644 Pearl Harbor 15.jpg The two destroyers forward in the
slip are Cassin and Downes

Sorry for the smart-ass sig in the reply I just made to you. It is
reserved for the trolls in another NG. Thanks again for pointing
out the names of these two ships.

These are interesting. Thanks. Now I have a HWMI-Powered, Jerry
file too.

You're welcome. Please tell me what "HWMI" means, a typo because W is
next to E perhaps? As to the pics, I wish I could claim credit for them
but most of the "Usenet" ones were downloaded from a.b.p.military.

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 15:29:06 GMT, "HEMI-Powered" wrote:

joevan added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

begin 644 Pearl Harbor 15.jpg The two destroyers forward in the
slip are Cassin and Downes

Sorry for the smart-ass sig in the reply I just made to you. It is
reserved for the trolls in another NG. Thanks again for pointing
out the names of these two ships.

These are interesting. Thanks. Now I have a HWMI-Powered, Jerry
file too.

You're welcome. Please tell me what "HWMI" means, a typo because W is
next to E perhaps? As to the pics, I wish I could claim credit for them
but most of the "Usenet" ones were downloaded from a.b.p.military.

It is just a typo. I thought I was typing HEMI. Sorry.

joevan added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

You're welcome. Please tell me what "HWMI" means, a typo because W
is next to E perhaps? As to the pics, I wish I could claim credit
for them but most of the "Usenet" ones were downloaded from
a.b.p.military.

It is just a typo. I thought I was typing HEMI. Sorry.

Thanks. Joevan, that's what I thought. I think I'm getting too paranoid
from constant haranging by the trolls in the car picture NGs and
thought you were being a smart-aleck especially since my comment that
you quoted was me apologizing for just that. No harm, no foul. Glad
you're enjoying my pictures.

One of these days I'm going to invest in a decent dedicated 35mm slide
and neg scanner and go after what I think are perhaps 1,000 or so
"keepers" out of 5,000-7,000, maybe more, slides I took while I was
stationed in West Germany while in the U.S. Army circa 1971 and my many
family vacations until I went over to the Dark Side and switched to
home video when my daughter was young. I know I have an entire slide
tray of the original Queen Elizabeth when she was berthed at Port
Everglades, Florida prior to being bought the the Japanese and sunk at
sea being towed home. And, I think I have pics from places like
Patriot's Point and other ship museums. But, summer is coming, my long
illness seems to be getting better and I need to get my strength back
before the car show season starts in a couple of months.

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 16:02:40 GMT, "HEMI-Powered" wrote:

amily vacations until I went over to the Dark Side and switched to
home video when my daughter was young. I know I have an entire slide
tray of the original Queen Elizabeth when she was berthed at Port
Everglades, Florida prior to being bought the the Japanese and sunk at
sea being towed home. And, I think I have pics from places like
Patriot's Point and other ship museums. But, summer is coming, my long

I crossed the Atlantic on the QE I think it was 65. What a ship. Lots
of beautiful wood in her corridors and salons. Then I made the return
trip on the SS United States. Another great ship, still here in
Philadelphia awaiting what we hope is a restoration. She was know to
have almost no wood in her. One of the officers proudly said that the
only wood on her was the butcher block and the pianos.
I was fortunate to tour the engine rooms of both ships. Quite an
adventure on the QE. I will never forget the little entry ways where
the pressure had to be equalized before full entry and the huge prop
shafts so shiny and long.

[...]

Yes, it was a grand lady. I forget when she went into service but I
do recall that she never entered commercial trans-Atlantic service
because of the start of WWII and was immediately refitted as a troop
carrier. IIRC, all of the luxurious wood paneling, the stateroom
furniture, the art, etc. was carefully taken off and stored for the
duration of the war. One thing was thought interesting about both
Queens was their ability to run through the Battle of Atlantic
without an escort, relying on their ultra-high speed to avoid U-Boat
attacks.

You say you rode on the QE in 1965. I visited her in January, 1970.
While I certainly agree with your love of the ship, by the time I
viewed her, the art deco decor and dark paint and wood made it look
quite out-of-style. One of the pictures I have was taken down a
corridor the full length of that deck. As I recall, she was 1083 feet
long and 80,000+ tons, both small by today's huge cruise ship
standards.

And, you also had the pleasure of making the return trip on the
United States? I'm not an expert on these things, but again IIRC, the
U.S. for a brief time took the transatlantic speed record away from
the QE. I didn't know she was in Philly. If I ever get there again,
I'd sure love to see her.

The QE tour in Florida included the bridge, 1st and 2nd class
staterooms, dining areas, and also the engine room. When I was in
California in 1993, my family and I toured the Queen Mary in Long
Beach. Another grand lady from a bygone age. Interestingly, the QM
isn't floating, as most musuem ships are not. They have the stern of
the ship cut away near the port propeller so tourists can look down
on it through the water.

Thanks for the story, Joevan, and for allowing me to reminisce on
these great ships.