Default Wide Tall Ship and Canal

Panama Canal??

Scrape off all the barnacles just passing through.

LdB

Attached Thumbnails
Wide Tall Ship and Canal-4.jpg

L D'Bonnie wrote:

Panama Canal??

Scrape off all the barnacles just passing through.

LdB

===
LD,
The canal is the Panama Canal. And, at the risk of sounding arrogant, that
is not a tall ship, it is a big container ship. What is typically referred
to as a Tall Ship has cloth sails, masts and miles of ropes.

Ray
===

"Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman" wrote in message

L D'Bonnie wrote:

Panama Canal??

Scrape off all the barnacles just passing through.

LdB

===
LD,
The canal is the Panama Canal. And, at the risk of sounding arrogant,

that
is not a tall ship, it is a big container ship. What is typically

referred
to as a Tall Ship has cloth sails, masts and miles of ropes.

Since you're being picky, I used to crew on a T10 sail boat and yes
we did have a mast and sails but not a single rope. But we did have
miles of "lines". :-)

wizofwas

===
From Answers.com

A tall ship is a large traditionally rigged sailing vessel. Popular modern
tall ship rigs include topsail schooners, brigantines, brigs and barques.

Traditional rigging may include square rigs and gaff rigs, with separate
topmasts and topsails. It is generally more complex than modern rigging,
which utilizes newer materials such as aluminum and steel to construct
taller, lightweight masts with fewer, more versatile sails.

The term tall ship has come into widespread use in the mid-20th century with
the advent of The Tall Ships' Races.

While Sail Training International (STI) has extended the definition of tall
ship for the purpose of its races to embrace any sailing vessel with more
than 30 ft. (9.14 m) waterline length and on which at least half the people
on board are aged 15 to 25, this definition can include many modern sailing
yachts, so for the purposes of this article, tall ship will refer to those
vessels rated as class "B" or above (Fore and aft rigged vessels between 100
to 160 feet in length, and all square rigged vessels).

The well-known poem "Sea Fever" by the English Poet Laureate John Masefield
contains the line "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by",
inspired by the poet's experience of serving in sailing ships during his
youth.[1]

===
And talking of being picky, once aboard a sailing ship, you learn the
"ropes" not the "lines".

Cheers,

Ray
===

Add "full rigged ships" to the common list.

The Brazilian vessel was a full-rigged-ship.

HF

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 16:52:59 -0500, "Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman"
wrote:

===
From Answers.com

Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman wrote:

L D'Bonnie wrote:

Panama Canal??

Scrape off all the barnacles just passing through.

LdB

===
LD,
The canal is the Panama Canal. And, at the risk of sounding arrogant, that
is not a tall ship, it is a big container ship. What is typically referred
to as a Tall Ship has cloth sails, masts and miles of ropes.

Ray
===

The "Tall" part was a tongue in cheek attempt to post On Topic.

I understand that in reality a true Tall Ship is one with a few
masts.

Oh how I wish spring would get here soon.

LdB

Attached Thumbnails
Wide Tall Ship and Canal-redneck_boat.jpg

"L D'Bonnie" schreef in bericht
. com...

The "Tall" part was a tongue in cheek attempt to post On Topic.

I understand that in reality a true Tall Ship is one with a few
masts.

Because we ran out of Tallships every ship can be posted here, also tall
ships;-)
Sailing vessels, fishingships, tugs etc.

Oh how I wish spring would get here soon.

So do I, The date is there, not the weather.
--
Greetings
Bouler (The Netherlands)

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 18:21:44 -0500, L D'Bonnie wrote
(in article ):

Oh how I wish spring would get here soon.

LdB

Wow! A 4-master!!

:-)

--