BoatBanter.com

-   -   Tow Vehicle, 4wd or not (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/99440-tow-vehicle-4wd-not.html)

Don White October 23rd 08 04:16 AM

Tow Vehicle, 4wd or not

wrote in message
Question for me now is whether or not to get 4wd on my new(er) truck.
My old Nissan is 4wd and my old Dodge is not. I have never needed 4wd
here in FL and when I lived in AL I used it only a few times, a couple
times when it snowed and several times for caving. When we go to WY,
we may use it both winter and summer although that is a very small
fraction of our time. We also could do without it in WY even in
winter by being careful. My experience with 4wd is that it makes
repairs a lot more expensive. Thoughts?

We can have a fair amount of wet heavy snow, but I've never owned a 4WD
vehicle in my life (probably will change March '09)
Heck...living in the city, I haven't bought snow tires in almost 25 years.

Calif Bill October 23rd 08 04:21 AM

Tow Vehicle, 4wd or not

"Mike" wrote in message
Here in the SF Bay Area, it's (4wd) not needed either. However we go to
Tahoe a few times a year to ski, and it's a LOT easier to flip a switch to
go to 4WD, than get out and put on chains when restrictions are in place.

Funny thing is that when I lived in MA and CT, I never had 4wd... couldn't
afford it. But, where it snows regularly, they don't ever seem to require
4wd or chains anyway. My theory is that here in CA, folks aren't used to
driving in snow, so they make us chain up or use 4wd for everyone's
safety. I still follow the rule I learned when I learned to drive in CT...
if the roads are foul, don't drive unless you absolutely have to.
Sometimes though, in the Sierras, unforecasted weather can move in quick,
and catch you off guard.

Additionally, being in construction, job sites can be a mucky mess when it
rains, and 4wd get's me out in a hurry.

--Mike

"Johnny" Johnny @any.com wrote in message
. ..
Here in Michigan I wouldn't be without 4WD, but it wouldn't be necessary
in Florida.
Like Mike said, 4WD makes it nice to pull on a slippery ramp.
4WD does have more moving parts so the wear factor does increase, not to
mention the fuel consumption!
"Mike" wrote in message
I've had 4wd vehicles for the last 20 years. Not once have I had to have
the transfer cases serviced. So no, they don't cost any more for
repairs. 4wd sure makes pulling a heavy boat up a slippery ramp, a piece
of cake.

--Mike

wrote in message
Question for me now is whether or not to get 4wd on my new(er) truck.
My old Nissan is 4wd and my old Dodge is not. I have never needed 4wd
here in FL and when I lived in AL I used it only a few times, a couple
times when it snowed and several times for caving. When we go to WY,
we may use it both winter and summer although that is a very small
fraction of our time. We also could do without it in WY even in
winter by being careful. My experience with 4wd is that it makes
repairs a lot more expensive. Thoughts?

4WD is required in the bay area on certain ramps. Santa Cruz is the prime
example. Most expensive ramp in the area, except for Discovery Bay, and
they can not use any of the money to buy a pressure washer to remove the
alge at low tide. I also ski, but launch my boat off unimproved ramps in
some rivers and remote lakes.

[email protected] October 23rd 08 01:24 PM

Tow Vehicle, 4wd or not

wrote in message

Question for me now is whether or not to get 4wd on my new(er) truck.
My old Nissan is 4wd and my old Dodge is not. *I have never needed 4wd
here in FL and when I lived in AL I used it only a few times, a couple
times when it snowed and several times for caving. *When we go to WY,
we may use it both winter and summer although that is a very small
fraction of our time. *We also could do without it in WY even in
winter by being careful. *My experience with 4wd is that it makes
repairs a lot more expensive. *Thoughts?- Hide quoted text -

Besides, if you like manual trannys low range is nice on a steep ramp
with a heavy boat.

JohnH[_3_] October 23rd 08 03:46 PM

Tow Vehicle, 4wd or not

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 17:24:41 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Question for me now is whether or not to get 4wd on my new(er) truck.
My old Nissan is 4wd and my old Dodge is not. I have never needed 4wd
here in FL and when I lived in AL I used it only a few times, a couple
times when it snowed and several times for caving. When we go to WY,
we may use it both winter and summer although that is a very small
fraction of our time. We also could do without it in WY even in
winter by being careful. My experience with 4wd is that it makes
repairs a lot more expensive. Thoughts?

I wish I'd held out for two wheel drive. I've never used the four wheel
drive and don't plan to. It costs more,weighs more, uses more gas, is
another thing to fix, and reduces the towing capacity of the 4Runner.

When we bought Highlander for my wife we ordered the two wheel. They had to
hunt around, but they finally found it.
--
A Harry Krause truism:

"It's not a *baby* kicking, beautiful bride, it's just a fetus!"
[A Narcissistic Hypocrite]

[email protected] October 23rd 08 04:28 PM

Tow Vehicle, 4wd or not

On Oct 22, 10:46*pm, "Mike" wrote:
You are waaaaay wrong here. What a mis-informed statement. * If it

says 4WD..OR Marine...it always costs more.

That's bull. It costs no more to "tune up" a 4wd vehicle than a 2wd vehicle.
But I do agree with the "marine" part of your statement.

Yup, gotta change the fluid in the xfer case. Depending on use, that costs
an additional $20 to $80 per year. Less if you do it yourself. I just let
Jiffy Lube do it.You must not own a 4wd vehicle, as that's one of the common
arguments I hear against getting one (service costs more). ;-)

--Mike

wrote in message

Not once have I had to have the transfer cases serviced.

Theres a difference between never having them serviced, and never
HAVING to have them serviced. They need fluid changes as well, even if
you arent using them.

So no, they don't cost any more for repairs.

You are waaaaay wrong here. What a mis-informed statement. * If it
says 4WD..OR Marine...it always costs more.- Hide quoted text -

That's bull. It costs no more to "tune up" a 4wd vehicle than a 2wd
vehicle.

I dont believe you mentioned ANYTHING about " tuning up " anything.
I'm talking driveline, transmission, transfer case. Yes I HAVE owned a
4WD. But it WASNT a cheesy Toyota Tonka Toy. It was a real 4WD.

Mike[_10_] October 23rd 08 06:57 PM

Tow Vehicle, 4wd or not

wrote in message

Not once have I had to have the transfer cases serviced.

Theres a difference between never having them serviced, and never
HAVING to have them serviced. They need fluid changes as well, even if
you arent using them.

So no, they don't cost any more for repairs.

You are waaaaay wrong here. What a mis-informed statement. If it
says 4WD..OR Marine...it always costs more.- Hide quoted text -

That's bull. It costs no more to "tune up" a 4wd vehicle than a 2wd
vehicle.

I dont believe you mentioned ANYTHING about " tuning up " anything.

I'm talking driveline, transmission, transfer case. Yes I HAVE owned a
4WD. But it WASNT a cheesy Toyota Tonka Toy. It was a real 4WD.

Maybe you should get a 3/4 ton Dodge 4x4 then. I've not had any of the
problems you mention in any of mine. So, I stand by my statement.

--Mike

Calif Bill October 23rd 08 07:32 PM

Tow Vehicle, 4wd or not

"JohnH" wrote in message
[...]

With most of the new 4x4's and the auto disconnect to the front drive line,
other than the extra weight, the fuel mileage difference is negligible.

Tim October 23rd 08 10:07 PM

Tow Vehicle, 4wd or not

wrote in message

Question for me now is whether or not to get 4wd on my new(er) truck.
My old Nissan is 4wd and my old Dodge is not. *I have never needed 4wd
here in FL and when I lived in AL I used it only a few times, a couple
times when it snowed and several times for caving. *When we go to WY,
we may use it both winter and summer although that is a very small
fraction of our time. *We also could do without it in WY even in
winter by being careful. *My experience with 4wd is that it makes
repairs a lot more expensive. *Thoughts?- Hide quoted text -

Besides, if you like manual trannys low range is nice on a steep ramp
with a heavy boat.- Hide quoted text -

Agreed! But one should always make sure the parking brake is in good
shape and working throttle releasing parking brake and operating the
clutch can take a bit of getting used to. I've sen people at our local
ramp get their PU stuck onthe ramp. all because they let the parking
brake go to heck and it wouldn't release . And this always seems to
happen on the morning of a three day weekend with anxious people
lined up to launch.

Eisboch October 23rd 08 11:25 PM

Tow Vehicle, 4wd or not

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
m...

With most of the new 4x4's and the auto disconnect to the front drive
line, other than the extra weight, the fuel mileage difference is
negligible.

I just noticed something on my new truck. It has real, old fashioned
locking hubs on the front, the kind you get out and manually turn.

I never noticed them before. I have to read the owner's manual one of these
days, because I have the
electronic switch in the cab to select 2wd, 4wd high and 4wd low.

I don't know what the manual locking hubs are all about.

Eisboch

Tom Francis - SWSports October 24th 08 01:06 AM

Tow Vehicle, 4wd or not

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 18:25:36 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
om...

With most of the new 4x4's and the auto disconnect to the front drive
line, other than the extra weight, the fuel mileage difference is
negligible.

I just noticed something on my new truck. It has real, old fashioned
locking hubs on the front, the kind you get out and manually turn.

I never noticed them before. I have to read the owner's manual one of these
days, because I have the
electronic switch in the cab to select 2wd, 4wd high and 4wd low.

I don't know what the manual locking hubs are all about.

Sure they are manual hubs and not wheel covers?

I was fooled by that when I was looking at a new Ford last year.