Default Dangerous Stuff

Sometimes you don't think about these little gotchas that can get you
killed quickly. They're all over the place, especially electrical
stuff.
One I still think about is the front of a pontoon boat moving at
speed.
I went forward on one my dad was driving and thought,
"Hey, this ain't right. If I fall off here it's like being in the
chute of a food processor. I'll go right into the blades."
It was a rental, and I thought there should be some kind of warning
plaque or something up there so kids would stay away.
To me, this is a real danger peculiar to the type of boat.
Most other types of boat you don't stand up as much underway and if
you fall out you should clear the prop.
Anybody got other cautions that apply to particular boats?

--Vic

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
Sometimes you don't think about these little gotchas that can get you
killed quickly. They're all over the place, especially electrical
stuff.
One I still think about is the front of a pontoon boat moving at
speed.
I went forward on one my dad was driving and thought,
"Hey, this ain't right. If I fall off here it's like being in the
chute of a food processor. I'll go right into the blades."
It was a rental, and I thought there should be some kind of warning
plaque or something up there so kids would stay away.
To me, this is a real danger peculiar to the type of boat.
Most other types of boat you don't stand up as much underway and if
you fall out you should clear the prop.
Anybody got other cautions that apply to particular boats?

--Vic

Gotta be dangerous for the dogs too.
Don't they have a rail all around?

MMC MMC is offline

"Don White" wrote in message

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
[...]

My 21' Tracker does, but some of the bigger ones have a deck forward of the
rail. Mine had a gap in the bottom half of the door in the center of the
forward rail and my wife's fufu dog liked hanging out there so I had to
close it up to keep him from possibly being "processed" by the prop.

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
Sometimes you don't think about these little gotchas that can get you
killed quickly. They're all over the place, especially electrical
stuff.
One I still think about is the front of a pontoon boat moving at
speed.
I went forward on one my dad was driving and thought,
"Hey, this ain't right. If I fall off here it's like being in the
chute of a food processor. I'll go right into the blades."
It was a rental, and I thought there should be some kind of warning
plaque or something up there so kids would stay away.
To me, this is a real danger peculiar to the type of boat.
Most other types of boat you don't stand up as much underway and if
you fall out you should clear the prop.
Anybody got other cautions that apply to particular boats?

--Vic

Occasionally I've wondered if there wasn't some way to make safety switches
that kill the engine? For this case maybe some sort of infrared detector
just under the bow? I was also thinking of a kill switch hooked to the
ladders. Ladder down, engine ignition disabled. There really is not much
in the area of protecting people from the prop. While few of these
accidents happen the results are horrific. Prop guards reduce performance a
lot so it needs to be some sort of engine kill.

wrote:

There really is not much
in the area of protecting people from the prop. *While few of these
accidents happen the results are horrific. *Prop guards reduce performance a
lot so it needs to be some sort of engine kill.

Jet boats.

Casady

Jet boats are less efficient, I'm not sure that they would be any
better that a regular prop with a prop guard in that analysis. But
certainly they are a whole lot safer and have a number of other
valuable attributes like shallow water operation.

Motorcycles are dangerous Eisboch General 24 October 7th 07 12:17 AM
Dangerous Jobs Mundo ASA 78 February 21st 07 02:59 AM
Joe, the dangerous Redneck Donal ASA 48 February 25th 04 12:31 AM
Dangerous quadrant? The_navigator© ASA 4 September 18th 03 05:55 PM