Default Thunderbird help

On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 16:41:43 -0400, "D.Duck" wrote:

"Tom Francis" wrote in message
.. .
I'm using an older laptop now that has Thunderbird installed. When I
powered up the program this morning, Thunderbird updated to the most
recent version and now, when I try to send an email, it's telling me I
have a "invalid certificate" or "same certificate" and rejects the
email from being sent.

I've spent the last hour trying to figure it out, but I can't find any
information on this. I never needed it before, now I do. It's the
same server I've used for years. The other odd thing is that my main
computer upgraded T-bird fine with no problems.

Any hints?

I'm using the portable because I'm officially crippled - seriously.
Short term, but crippled. :)

I'd appreciate any thoughts on it.

Maybe trying uninstalling and reinstalling?

Did that.

"Tom Francis" wrote in message
On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 16:41:43 -0400, "D.Duck" wrote:

"Tom Francis" wrote in message
. ..
I'm using an older laptop now that has Thunderbird installed. When I
powered up the program this morning, Thunderbird updated to the most
recent version and now, when I try to send an email, it's telling me I
have a "invalid certificate" or "same certificate" and rejects the
email from being sent.

I've spent the last hour trying to figure it out, but I can't find any
information on this. I never needed it before, now I do. It's the
same server I've used for years. The other odd thing is that my main
computer upgraded T-bird fine with no problems.

Any hints?

I'm using the portable because I'm officially crippled - seriously.
Short term, but crippled. :)

I'd appreciate any thoughts on it.

Maybe trying uninstalling and reinstalling?

Did that.

Use Outlook or Outlook Express. 8)

On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 21:51:01 +0000, Tom Francis wrote:

No certificates - never had 'em before, don't have any now.

Might be the problem. You should have some built-ins from Certificate
Authorities. I don't know why you don't, but this might help.

http://codeidol.com/internet/firefox...-Certificates/

wrote:
On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 21:51:01 +0000, Tom Francis wrote:

No certificates - never had 'em before, don't have any now.

Might be the problem. You should have some built-ins from Certificate
Authorities. I don't know why you don't, but this might help.

http://codeidol.com/internet/firefox...-Certificates/

Someone previously asked about the ports for your email. Many of the
ISP are going to a secured port for email. You said the problem started
when you upgraded. How many version did you upgrade. Could your
previous version not have supported the secure connections. Thunderbird
2.0 is capable of the secure connections.

POP SSL 995

STMP SSL 465

The certificate that is the problem maybe the security certificate form
the ISP
Senior Member

On Oct 3, 5:51*pm, Tom Francis
wrote:
On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 14:07:30 -0700, ChrisC wrote:
Tom Francis wrote:
I'm using an older laptop now that has Thunderbird installed. When I
powered up the program this morning, Thunderbird updated to the most
recent version and now, when I try to send an email, it's telling me I
have a "invalid certificate" or "same certificate" and rejects the
email from being sent.

I've spent the last hour trying to figure it out, but I can't find any
information on this. I never needed it before, now I do. *It's the
same server I've used for years. *The other odd thing is that my main
computer upgraded T-bird fine with no problems.

Any hints?

I'm using the portable because I'm officially crippled - seriously.
Short term, but crippled. *:)

I'd appreciate any thoughts on it.

You might look around and see what is in your certificate settings.
Look in Tools, Options, Advanced, Certificates.
There is an option there to 'View Certificates'.
That might at least help you get a hint about where the problem is.

No certificates - never had 'em before, don't have any now.- Hide quoted text -

any progress?

Tim Tim is offline

Tom Francis wrote:
[...]

Good evening Tom. Nice to se you, Oh, and thanks for the 4-hand guitar
link. That was cool.