Default hmmm, ss screws into bronze?

Cannot find metric bronze screws for my diesel water pump, so replaced
em with SS ones. Yanmar uses these awful Phillips screws on the water
pump covers that get messed up quickly and really dont hold tight
either. I have used SS allen ones.

On Oct 1, 8:32 pm, wrote:
On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 13:26:58 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Cannot find metric bronze screws for my diesel water pump, so replaced
em with SS ones. Yanmar uses these awful Phillips screws on the water
pump covers that get messed up quickly and really dont hold tight
either. I have used SS allen ones.

I suppose it all depends on the alloy of the stainless and the alloy
of the bronze but they use stainless scleras on bronze direct burial
ground clamps.

I looked on the Galvanic series and most SS is close to bronze.
However, Yanmar used what look like bronze screws instead of SS
although SS is prob cheaper. Weirdly, the face of the pump that gets
removed when changing the impeller is SS held by the bronze screws.

wrote:

Cannot find metric bronze screws for my diesel water pump, so replaced
em with SS ones. Yanmar uses these awful Phillips screws on the water
pump covers that get messed up quickly and really dont hold tight
either. I have used SS allen ones.

I suppose it all depends on the alloy of the stainless and the alloy
of the bronze but they use stainless scleras on bronze direct burial
ground clamps.

I looked on the Galvanic series and most SS is close to bronze.
However, Yanmar used what look like bronze screws instead of SS
although SS is prob cheaper. Weirdly, the face of the pump that gets
removed when changing the impeller is SS held by the bronze screws.

I suspect they are more concerned about the galvanic corrosion between the
threads that between the pump face and the screw heads. You could put a
little thread sealer on them before putting them in. Might help a little.

MMC MMC is offline

"jamesgangnc" wrote in message
wrote:

[...]

There is a product called "TEFGEL" that is designed and works great for this
application. It keeps the o2 out of the fitting.

wrote:

[...]

application. It keeps the o2 out of the fitting.- Hide quoted text -

I use a teflon thread sealer from permatex. I use it on the exhaust
manifold threads as well. I'm guessing that the TEF part of your
product also stands for teflon? I suspect any of these will do in a
fairly stable location like this example. Sure can't hurt.