TJF TJF is offline

Default 84 Carver Sant Cruz 26'

Looking at purchasjng a 26 foot 1984 Carver Santa Cruz. Love everything so
far. Has some minor electrical issues but nothing serious. Comes with a
mercruiser 260 (chevy 350). My question is what do you all know about the
Carver itself? Any specific issues on this model I need to look out for?
From what I see it looks like it can handle any type of sea conditions up to
6-7 foot waves....maybe more. A friend had a 32' Carver and he called it the
condo on the water. He said that Carvers are famous for using every bit of
space and having great layouts. I have to say that this boat is perfect for
the wife and I to cruise, camp and fish.

Just looking for your opinions.

On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 07:27:22 -0600, "TJF"
wrote:

Looking at purchasjng a 26 foot 1984 Carver Santa Cruz. Love everything so
far. Has some minor electrical issues but nothing serious. Comes with a
mercruiser 260 (chevy 350). My question is what do you all know about the
Carver itself? Any specific issues on this model I need to look out for?
From what I see it looks like it can handle any type of sea conditions up to
6-7 foot waves....maybe more. A friend had a 32' Carver and he called it the
condo on the water. He said that Carvers are famous for using every bit of
space and having great layouts. I have to say that this boat is perfect for
the wife and I to cruise, camp and fish.

Just looking for your opinions.

A 1984 Carver is approaching the end of its useful life. Both boat
and engine need to be surveyed *very* carefully by an expert. It will
surely have some hidden problems with something like the hull,
stringers, transom, bulkheads, electrical system, etc., and it's easy
to end up in a negative value position with a boat of that type and
age. If you can afford to run it for a few years and throw it away
it might be a good deal.

If you ever end up in 6 to 7 ft waves, you will wish you were
somewhere else very quickly. Anything over 2 or 3 ft will get slow,
wet and uncomfortable. In addition, that boat is significantly under
powered with a Mercruiser 260. There's a good chance the engine has
been run hard as a result.

TJF TJF is offline

Definitely getting a professional survey. I have already arranged for that
and he specifically is looking at the possible structural issues amongst
everything else. This thing has been in a covered slip for the last 8 years
and removed, winterized every winter and stored in a garage. It has also
been maintained professionally by a reputable marina. The survey is more of
a feel good as well as a professional look at the overall current condition.
The current owner has taken great care of it. He is meticulous about ever
thing on it, but does not do any maintenance himself. The outdrive was
completely rebuilt last year and the engine was tuned. I am aware of some
minor electrical issues that sounds more like a loose ground. I am very good
with electrical items. I practically rewired my current boat. That thing was
one big birds nest that someone went crazy with. I did a NADA on the boat
and the price is withing the current range just for the boat. The NADA does
not include the kicker motor, trailer, fishing gear and electronics that
come loaded with it.

wrote:

Looking at purchasjng a 26 foot 1984 Carver Santa Cruz. Love everything so
far. Has some minor electrical issues but nothing serious. Comes with a
mercruiser 260 (chevy 350). My question is what do you all know about the
Carver itself? Any specific issues on this model I need to look out for?
From what I see it looks like it can handle any type of sea conditions up

wrote:

Looking at purchasjng a 26 foot 1984 Carver Santa Cruz. Love everything so
far. Has some minor electrical issues but nothing serious. Comes with a
mercruiser 260 (chevy 350). My question is what do you all know about the
Carver itself? Any specific issues on this model I need to look out for?
From what I see it looks like it can handle any type of sea conditions up
[...]

Don't forget to have the engine compression tested.

Local vessel, Puerto Aroya, Santa Cruz, Galapagos James Hahn Tall Ship Photos 0 March 8th 08 11:31 PM
Thompson Santa Cruz 2700 1993 bonne General 2 August 28th 06 09:58 AM
93 Sant Cruz 3400 Beam? Steve Cruising 1 October 20th 04 11:32 PM
Where to launch kayak in Santa Cruz, CA? Saigoncal1 General 1 July 10th 03 02:03 AM