Default Furuno 1715 & "false targets"

I purchased & installed a Furuno 1715 radar on the boat -- unfortunately; I
can't rely on it as it gives me false targets.

I can have the gain adjusted so that it's working; then suddenly (same
conditions) it's spotting a lot of "clutter" all over the screen -- re-adjust
the gain; (it's a constant adjust, readjust) -- clutter is gone; and so is a
"known target" -- re-set the gain back; clutter is gone; target back + a new
one -- the target is right in front of me -- clear day -- calm seas -- nothing
in front of me - no logs, no birds, nothing -- then poof -- gone.

continue and suddenly I'm surrounded by a solid target (a thick ring is
displayed around me) -- but there's no other boats anywhere near me.

I've turned off gps, vhf, engine, radio, lights -- I can get similar behaviour
with just the radar running.

I sent the radome & display in - they bench tested it and said "no problems" - I
put it back in --today and ... same thing.

I'm desperate to get this going -- it's been too long to return it; and it's too
expensive for me to ditch it...

Thanks
-josh

Josh Assing wrote:
[...]

I suggest you have your installation checked by a competent,
professional installer of marine electronics. Take him out and demo the
problem. Betcha he finds out what's wrong.

--
http://tinyurl.com/4q88t6

On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 23:45:39 -0400, A Real Boater wrote:

I suggest you have your installation checked by a competent,
professional installer of marine electronics. Take him out and demo the
problem. Betcha he finds out what's wrong.

Thanks -- already have a phone # that I got from a furuno rep.. I'll call
monday....

Josh Assing wrote:
[...]

Thinking cable problem. Check the various connectors.
Another thought, although remote. Do you have an older TV antenna with
a built in preamplifier located nearby? One of the manufacturer's
models produces excessive RFI from the preamp. It was the source of
problems with GPS heads located nearby a few years back and people often
forget the TV antennas are usually on all the time.

Thinking cable problem. Check the various connectors.

I've checked & re-checked -- even took the shrink tubes off the end to check for
sliced/shorted wires...

Another thought, although remote. Do you have an older TV antenna with
a built in preamplifier located nearby? One of the manufacturer's
models produces excessive RFI from the preamp. It was the source of
problems with GPS heads located nearby a few years back and people often
forget the TV antennas are usually on all the time.

No TV - but there is a GPS (new) and NavTex antenna nearby... but even with
those things off -- it still happens...

-josh