Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Marine lubicants

I have an '03 4.3L Merc engine. The dealer insisist that I should only
use Merc's motor oil, gear lube, etc. Of course the dealer price for
this stuff is pretty high. The gear lube itself is $15/qt. I noticed
that Walmart sells QuickSilver brand products now. I believe
QuickSilver is a respected brand in that I've seen it at WestMarine
and I've heard they are actually owned by Merc. So my question is...

1) Can I save money by buying Qucksilver lubes vs. the Merc lubes? Is
there really a difference?
2) I see a wide variety of prices for gear lube. It seems like there
must be two types out there but I don't see anything on the bottles to
indicate what the difference is. I've seen gear lubs for less than $5
and more than $10 per quart. Some say "High Performance" on it but I
don't know what the means. Are some synthetics and some not? Does my
outdrive require a synthetic?
3) Is it necessary to put expensive Marine wax on my gell coat? My
boat sits outside and the cover doesn't protect the gell coat. I was
going to use the same turtle wax I use on my car but the Bayliner
dealer says I should use a marine wax. Is there really a difference?

-Robert