Default Winterizing and Diesel Stabilizer

I have a question about winterizing a diesel engine and diesel fuel
stabilizer.

Due to limited use of our boat this season, we only used about an 1/8
of the tank of diesel fuel this summer.

The diesel that is in the tank was stabilized last year (2007) when
the boat was stored for the winter.

My question is whether I should stabilize again this year based on the
entire tank, or whether I should reduce the stabilizer and only use
that amount required for the additional diesel that will be added to
top up the tank before winterizing?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Scott

--
Posted at author's request, using http://www.BoatingForumz.com interface.
Articles individually moderated. Abuse/Problem? Report at http://www.BoatingForumz.com/contact.html

On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 11:22:22 -0500, yu177089 wrote:

I have a question about winterizing a diesel engine and diesel fuel
stabilizer.

Due to limited use of our boat this season, we only used about an 1/8
of the tank of diesel fuel this summer.

The diesel that is in the tank was stabilized last year (2007) when
the boat was stored for the winter.

My question is whether I should stabilize again this year based on the
entire tank, or whether I should reduce the stabilizer and only use
that amount required for the additional diesel that will be added to
top up the tank before winterizing?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Diesel fuel does not break down as it ages the way that gasoline does.
Properly stored it lasts a long time. The biggest risk is moisture in
the fuel which will cause bacteria/algae to grow and foul the tanks.
I would add some additional biocide like Biobor or Pri-D, enough for
the entire fuel load. You could also hire a fuel polishing service to
check the condition of the tanks and fuel.

Looking for a diesel launch or 24ft or smaller cc diesel Ratliff Logging and Management General 3 October 14th 10 04:38 AM
fuel stabilizer r_d General 26 September 1st 06 06:27 AM
Gasoline stabilizer Norm Dion General 0 October 19th 05 06:22 PM
Difference in Winterizing Diesel vs. Gasoline Black-n-Gold General 0 October 6th 05 01:13 AM
forgot fuel stabilizer tcoop General 6 March 17th 05 03:02 AM