Default Speaking of "Wide Loads"..................

"JimH" wrote in message
On Sep 20, 4:30 pm, A Real Boater wrote:
Wayne.B wrote:
On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 11:06:00 -0700 (PDT), JimH
wrote:

Thanks for all the information guys. A friend of mine has a boat with
an 8 1/2 foot beam and was thinking about trailering it down to
Florida when he visits his son there later this year.

We had no issues trailering our old runabout to Florida from
Connecticut with an 8 1/2 ft beam. You do need to carefully check out
everything in advance: towing stability at speed, brakes, lights, tire
pressure, trailer jack, etc. We checked hub temperatures at every gas
stop and carried two spare tires (not needed).

How do you check hub temps? I put my hand on the hub. If it doesn't feel
too hot, I figure it isn't.

That is how I checked it when trailering........but the furthest I
trailered was probably 60 miles.

Thanks for the additional advice Wayne.

That's how I did it on my 4500 km round trip Aug 07 and for shorter trips
around the province
Every time I stopped, I'd carefully place my hand near the hub...and then
grab it to judge the temp..

On Sep 20, 5:35*pm, Gene Kearns
wrote:
On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 18:35:35 -0700 (PDT), JimH penned the following
well considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

........what are the wide load restrictions on trailering boats or
RV's on the interstates and roads in your State?

In NC....

RV's..... 102 inch maximum unless permitted for oversize load, then
you cannot travel on or about holidays, Sundays, or after dark. A bill
is lost in committee in the GA which would allow a 6 inch variance for
stuff like awnings, etc. The NCHP may get religion with RVs exceeding
6" like they did boaters, in which case you'll get ticketed because
the law is on the books.... although prior to the epiphany it has
never been enforced.....

Boats..... less than 120 inches, no permit is required

102 to 114 inches, no restrictions, 114 inches to 120 inches,
restricted to daylight hours

boats 102 to 120 inches require "a minimum of two operable amber lamps
on the widest point of the boat and the boat trailer such that the
dimensions of the boat and the boat trailer are clearly marked and
visible." Decoded, that means that if the boat is 102 to 120 inches,
then it must sport "two operable amber lamps," ditto the trailer, in
which case you'll have a total of 4 extra lights.

over 120 inches requires permitting which means that you cannot travel
on or about holidays, Sundays, or after dark... (try to have a nice
vacation, just don't try it on holidays or after dark.)

PS
The feds set the standard for "overwidth." The states pass laws to
deal with over that 102" limit. There are no Federal overwidth
permits, you must secure one from EACH STATE you expect to transit.
There are companies that do this for a fee and some states, like
Alabama (I think) will ONLY deal with those companies.

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Oak Island, NC.

Homepagehttp://pamandgene.idleplay.net/* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Rec.boats at Lee Yeaton's Bayguidehttp://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

---
Virus Database (VPS): 080920-0, 09/20/2008
Tested on: 9/20/2008 8:35:01 PM
avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2008 ALWIL Software.http://www.avast.com

If you can leave your hand on the hub, then it's not too hot. If you
can't, hmmmmm. It may be over heating.

Dale
www.FishWisher.com